Re: Going from i386 AMD 64 Dual Core

On 09/04/07, Matt Galvin <mgalvin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/9/07, Ben Edwards <funkytwig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can I just apt-get a amd64 kernal or should I do other stuff?

Hi Ben

No. In order to use your system as an amd64 system you would need to
perform a clean install using the amd64 installation CD. It's not only
the kernel that matters. Virtually every package is built for a
particular architecture (there are some exceptions). If you want a 64
bit OS you need to install it along with all the 64 bit versions of
all the applications and everything else as well.

If I stick to 32bit will both cores be used, are there performance
benefits or just memory addressing etc of 64bit.

Thing is I want to use things like w32codecs and they do not seem to
be available for 64bit.

When I do top I was expecting to c a line for each CPU in the summary
section. Is there a way of monitoring each CPU separately?

Regards,
Ben

Be aware that some things will not work (easily) in 64 bit mode such
as Flash for example. There is no 64 bit version of flash (although
there are ways to make it work it is a little tricky).

Hope this helps,

Matt

--
Matt Galvin
http://www.simplifiedcomplexity.com/

Ben Edwards - Bristol, UK
If you have a problem emailing me use
http://www.gurtlush.org.uk/profiles.php?uid=4
(email address this email is sent from may be defunct)