Re: Going from i386 AMD 64 Dual Core

Ben Edwards wrote:
On 09/04/07, Matt Galvin <mgalvin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/9/07, Ben Edwards <funkytwig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can I just apt-get a amd64 kernal or should I do other stuff?
Hi Ben

No. In order to use your system as an amd64 system you would need to
perform a clean install using the amd64 installation CD. It's not only
the kernel that matters. Virtually every package is built for a
particular architecture (there are some exceptions). If you want a 64
bit OS you need to install it along with all the 64 bit versions of
all the applications and everything else as well.

If I stick to 32bit will both cores be used, are there performance
benefits or just memory addressing etc of 64bit.

I believe you need to do:

sudo aptitude install linux-image-686

to have both cores/cpus be used.

Matt Flaschen

  • How can I install an amd64 to my new bought Laptop/
    ... to install a amd64 system on it ... previous deadly commands.. ... I hope to install the amd64 and I need your assistance! ... I think it's very inconvenient to work with a netinst iso that lack ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Marvell Yukon gigabit ethernet card
    ... Last year I purchased a new amd64 system: ... luck with Debian testing amd64 net install, ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Going from i386 AMD 64 Dual Core
    ... In order to use your system as an amd64 system you would need to ... perform a clean install using the amd64 installation CD. ... There is no 64 bit version of flash (although ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Going from i386 AMD 64 Dual Core
    ... In order to use your system as an amd64 system you would need to ... perform a clean install using the amd64 installation CD. ... There is no 64 bit version of flash (although ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How to compile 32-bit programs
    ... emulations are supported. ... I don't have an AMD64 system, but I suspect ... you need to install the glib*.i386 stuff for that to work. ...
    (Fedora)