Does LVM affect performance

Hi,

Pretty simple questions but probably not such a simple answer..

Does using LVM affect disk and system performnace?

There must be some overhead involved (memory, cpu or disk IO) in using
LVM but is that overhead measurable or is it insignificant if disk
throughput is of significance??

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts or from anyone who has tested
it..

Thanks..

  • Re: Windows XP slows to a standstill
    ... "Gerry Cornell" wrote: ... the CPU usage maxed out. ... I can now type and open files and programmes which is a vast improvement. ... I've got 6 gig free on the disk drive so it should be OK. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SuSE 10.0 boot problems with CPU changed
    ... disk from an Athlon XP based machine to a Pentium III. ... needing to somehow change a config file for the CPU or something. ... for the floppy drive, the Adaptec 29160 SCSI adapter, the IBM SCSI hard ... Back when I was a schoolkid, I had an old Zoltrix 14.4k external modem ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Dynamic configure max_cstate
    ... fio is a disk I/O workload ... which doesn't spend much time with cpu, ... I also thought it's related to timer. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Can extra processing threads help in this case?
    ... said that the overhead will take 0 ms. ... The main this that I want to occur in parallel is the disk ... FIFO queues, including writing the audit ... jobs over all the other jobs, ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: Relationship between load average and CPU busy or CPU idle
    ... > Is there some kind of relationship between the load average figure and CPU ... Because Unix expects disk I/O to finish really soon ... idle time is computed by looking at what the processors are ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)