Re: Re: how do i know i need a reboot after a console based "upgrade"?

Mario Vukelic wrote:
On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 15:33 +0100, Gabriel Dragffy wrote:
if you do 'upgrade' then you shouldn't need to restart for the
changes to take effect. If you do a 'dist-upgrade' then generally you
will need to restart for the changes to take effect.

No, the difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade is just that upgrade
will never uninstall packages to resolve dependencies, while
dist-upgrade will. See "man apt-get" or "man aptitude"

I see.
It's just been my experience that 'upgrade' will install packages and
not require a restart. But the few packages that do require a restart,
e.g. kernel updates, will only be installed when the command
'dist-upgrade' is issued.

  • Re: how to handle the not upgraded package
    ... releases and for some security upgrades will need a dist-upgrade. ... Testing/Unstable by comparison typically always uses dist-upgrade. ... A safe-upgrade requires that no packages be removed and no new ... upgrade will add or remove package and will need a dist-upgrade. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: APT-GET UPGRADE VS DIST-UPGRADE
    ... > and kde, meta package. ... I've been using apt-get dist-upgrade for well over a year now and I ... to testing and sometimes will pick up packages that are in unstable. ... upgrade the entire distro. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: What are your best practices for running Debian unstable?
    ... There is a difference between upgrade and dist-upgrade. ... Packages currently installed with new ... without changing the install status of another package will ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Dapper Flight 5 Install - Networking issues
    ... my upgrade failed several times due dependencies errors ... dist-upgrade stop the proccess. ... Ensure that you upgrade all packages correctly. ...
    (Ubuntu)