Re: how do i create a bootable image using mkisofs

On 5/5/07, Tomoki Taniguchi <tomoki.taniguchi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I created an ISO image file using mkisofs
mkisofs -o recovery-dvd.iso /edited-cd-file-dir

i mounted this under vmware player.
but the image file doesn't seem to be a bootable image.

the root dir of the cd contains two files i feel
are some how related to the issue

BOOTCTG.BIN: data
BOOTIMG.BIN: DOS floppy 1440k, x86 hard disk boot sector

what options do i need to include in the mkisofs command to
to make the image file bootable?

Hi Tomoki,
Since you want to make an image of your entire disk, including the boot
sector, I think you're better off with the "dd" command that the others sent
to you. The difference is that the mkisofs command makes an image from the
files contained on the CD and the dd command makes an image of the device.
I don't know all of the details of how this works, but the part that makes a
CD bootable doesn't show up as a file. I think that dd will get the
bootable stuff as well as the files.

mkisofs does have a way to make a bootable image, but I don't think it
would be the same bootable image that the CD currently has. You can play
with it if you want to, then post your results here :) The details are in
the man page. Just search for the word boot.

-- Vince --
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: how do i create a bootable image using mkisofs
    ... but the image file doesn't seem to be a bootable image. ... Since you want to make an image of your entire disk, including the boot ... The difference is that the mkisofs command makes an image from the ... AIM: tomoki taniguchi ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: how do i create a bootable image using mkisofs
    ... the disk image, and then burn the new image. ... but the image file doesn't seem to be a bootable image. ... Since you want to make an image of your entire disk, including the boot ... The difference is that the mkisofs command makes an image from the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: mkbootdisk create bootable diskkette not work under AS 3.0????
    ... > create bootable image to diskette, but this diskette can not boot ... Go directly to making a boot ... This will make a boot disk based on your _currently_loaded kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • mkbootdisk create diskette can not bootup on AS 3.0?
    ... tested "mkbootdisk" create bootable image to diskette, ... but this diskette can not boot successful. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Booting Image from Torito CD
    ... I created my ISO-9600 bootable image using the hd2iso.exe as per msdn ... tutorial "Creating your bootable cd", and now when I try to boot from the CD, ... formatted with the utility from HP, USB Disk Storage Format Tool. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)