Re: VMware + WindowsXP guest + license?

On 05/07/2007 09:37 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
Albert Charron wrote:

Sadly, you can't use an OEM licences (licence that came with a computer)
anywhere else than on the PC it came with (As for Windows, it's
installed in a second computer when installed in VMWare).

No, it's not. That's Microsoft's opinion, but it isn't a _legal_ one.

Hmmm... you might want to have a read here:

http://www.vmware.com/solutions/whitepapers/msoft_licensing_wp.html
<quote>
Restrictions on OEM versions of Windows:

Customers today cannot purchase a desktop operating system from an OEM
installed in a virtual machine requiring them to purchase the license
retail. In addition, they cannot transfer an existing OEM Windows
desktop license into a virtual machine.

In 2000, VMware had an OEM license to redistribute Windows in a VMware
virtual machine. VMware was unable to renew this agreement in 2003 and
since.
</quote>

http://www.vmware.com/solutions/whitepapers/msoft_addendum.html
<quote>
F. Availability of Virtualized Windows for Desktops from OEMs

Microsoft has stated that with the introduction of Vista, PC OEMs do now
have some capability to ship Windows clients in virtual machines. It is
not clear what scope or restrictions apply to this.
</quote>

Added info:
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/highlights/virtualization/faq.mspx

  • Re: School Project; please read
    ... I would highly recommend using the FREE VMware ... lose data or render the PC unbootable with Windows. ... I'd do a complete Ubuntu installation ... The virtual machine files can be unzipped and run ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: LAMP Question
    ... Would you be able to recommend a virtual machine? ... VMware 5 workstation is awesome! ... air-card on Linux, so booting into Linux was ok as long as I could ... etc etc. I'd have to go boot back into Windows ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: School Project; please read
    ... VMware is the leading virtualization product in the Windows space. ... A Ubuntu virtual machine can have full network access and can ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: School Project; please read
    ... testing Linux software on Linux and Windows hosts because you cannot screw ... A Ubuntu virtual machine can have full network access and can ... Better yet, if you are working with vmware, you can very easily boot ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Running Windows98 progs on Linux
    ... I have used vmware for several years with Suse Linux as host and Windows 98 ... Vmware gives you a virtual PC ... It isn't that difficult to create your own playable virtual machine if you ...
    (alt.linux)