Re: Getting back Ubuntu Grub after FC5 install

Bruce Marshall wrote:
On Thursday 17 May 2007, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
I run grub-install and did not help :-(
Edit menu.lst in FC5 is not an option!

Make yourself a file like the below and modify it as necessary.

setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd1,4) (hd1,4)
setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd1,4)
quit

Note that this sets up grub on two different areas... hd0 would be the MBR
of your first hard drive and hd1,4 would be /dev/hdb5 on the second
drive.

The first argument above tells grub where to write its boot records and the
second argument tells where the grub files are.

If you can tell me where your grub stuff is, I'll tell you how to modify it if
you can't figure it out.

Once you have the proper file (I put mine as /etc/grub.conf) then run it
as:

grub < /etc/grub.conf

Now if you can't boot into anything in order to run this, you'll have to use a
live CD or some other method to do that.

Thanks Bruce

This where the grub parameters I was looking for. Now, I have my Ubuntu grub
back ;-). But should not do "dpkg-reconfigure grub" the same thing?

Thomas

--
http://www.kaiser-linux.li