Re: MMS streams

On 7/15/07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At my university we watch lectures in Windows Media Player via MMS
streams. The streams are over 2GB in size, so saving the entire stream
is not an option. I need a player that will play the stream, including
Fast Forward and Rewind functions. Is there a linux player that can do
that? I have had no luck with mplayer or vlc.

This is the output of Mplayer:
[dotancohen@localhost ~]$ mplayer
mms://video9.technion.ac.il/Courses/Solid-Mech1/Solid%20Mechanics%201%20-
01.wmv
MPlayer 1.0rc1-4.1.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz (Family: 6,
Model: 15, Stepping: 6)
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote
control.

Playing
mms://video9.technion.ac.il/Courses/Solid-Mech1/Solid%20Mechanics%201%20-
01.wmv.
STREAM_ASF, URL:
mms://video9.technion.ac.il/Courses/Solid-Mech1/Solid%20Mechanics%201%20-
01.wmv
Resolving video9.technion.ac.il for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: video9.technion.ac.il
Resolving video9.technion.ac.il for AF_INET...
Connecting to server video9.technion.ac.il[132.68.1.27]: 1755...
connection timeout
Resolving video9.technion.ac.il for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: video9.technion.ac.il
Resolving video9.technion.ac.il for AF_INET...
Connecting to server video9.technion.ac.il[132.68.1.27]: 80...

It seems as though it cannot find the server, however Windows Media
Player 11 in VMWare loads and displays that video just fine. There is
no AU sniffing at the server, I checked that with the university's
computer department.

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/

I have to say that the ideal solution is your university not using Windows
Media for this! Why? Well they are an education facility, Students may use
Linux (as you do) and Macs (alternative platforms). It would make more sense
for the university to deploy a solution which runs on all Platforms, now OGG
would be nice, but if they want the proprietry route why the heck didn't
they go for realplayer.

This is simular to the IBBC Player which is now being challenged by the open
source community, I would also complain to the university too! Content is
for all not just for Micorosft Windows Users. Microsoft will not make it
work on other platforms as it is there way to create a lock in.

You can get some Windows Media content to play using the VLC and MPlayer,
but much of it fails . Its a pain in the ass but the real blame here is the
University deploying a windows centric solution in the first place!
Typical.......

Regards

Flossgeek

--
" linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste"