Re: Feisty, can't connect to localhost

Dan Stieg wrote:
I am trying to set up apache. I installed both apache and apache2 and
am unable to connect to localhost through Firefox or telnet. I added
port 80 to iptables. sudo telnet localhost gives:

Trying 127.0.0.1...

Depending on the port you want to connect there must be a server
listening. If you want to connect to your apache on port 80 you should
first check, if there is a service listening on port 80:

netstat -tan | grep 80

The output should look like this:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

If it isn't running, you should first find out what's wrong with it. If
you can see there is a server listening, you can type

telnet localhost 80

to test the connection to your apache. Or you could just connect with your
browser to <http://localhost>.

BTW: With the command you mentioned, telnet tried to connect to the
standard port for telnet (23), but you should not have a telnetd running.
And you don't need sudo to start telnet -- but it doesn't hurt :)

Nils

  • Re: Telnet port 25
    ... Subject: Telnet port 25 ... is the sole responsibility of the customer and depends on the customer's ... Configuring sendmail 8.11.0 for Anti-Relay ...
    (AIX-L)
  • Re: Linux Forums unreachable.
    ... DSL router, do you? ... web site that does not match linuxforums.org. ... interesting to see if the problem is specific to port 80. ... ray@RaysComputer:~$ telnet www.linuxforums.org 21 ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Suggestion for a lexical (login mode via TCPIP)
    ... Not sure of it is the right one to modify or to add another one, but it would be useful to be able to get information on whether the user us coming in via FTP, TELNET, etc. ... This would also allow a LOGIN.COM to check if someone is coming in through a secure/SSL port for instance. ... For the HP SSH server, it seems to be undefined. ... forget about the possibility of virtual terminals. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Cannot telnet to port 25 from Windows 2003 SBS server to itself
    ... XFOR: Telnet to Port 25 of IMC to Test IMC Communication: ... Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: RWW fails from Internet
    ... on port 4125: Connect failed" when you telnet to 4125. ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ... This newsgroup only focuses on SBS technical issues. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)