Re: Feisty, can't connect to localhost

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 22:44 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
Dan Stieg wrote:
I am trying to set up apache. I installed both apache and apache2 and
am unable to connect to localhost through Firefox or telnet. I added
port 80 to iptables. sudo telnet localhost gives:

Trying 127.0.0.1...

Depending on the port you want to connect there must be a server
listening. If you want to connect to your apache on port 80 you should
first check, if there is a service listening on port 80:

netstat -tan | grep 80

The output should look like this:

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

If it isn't running, you should first find out what's wrong with it. If
you can see there is a server listening, you can type

telnet localhost 80

to test the connection to your apache. Or you could just connect with your
browser to <http://localhost>.

BTW: With the command you mentioned, telnet tried to connect to the
standard port for telnet (23), but you should not have a telnetd running.
And you don't need sudo to start telnet -- but it doesn't hurt :)

Nils

No service was running, I thought Apache was started at install. I
started it and it works now.
Thanks for the info on telnet.

Dan