Re: iptables

Sure will, Jack

jack wrote:
On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 08:52 -0400, jonathan wrote:
well done sorry that I wasn't much help.

jonathan hopley
deepak wrote:

Disabled ipv6 completely, reinstalled iptables. So far, it seems to
be
working fine.

johan wrote:
My opinion too, I use shorewall, based on iptables. Removing
iptables is
not an option. I will debug iptables a bit. Or programmers of
iptable
here present in this mailinglist ?

Greetz,
Johan

jonathan wrote:
deepak you do know that iptables is the firewall for linux so
removing
it is not such a good idea.
deepak wrote:
What happened to me was similar. That's why I removed iptables,
and
there is no problem now.

johan wrote:
hi

since my last upgrade of iptables, file sending amsn doesn't
seem to
work very well anymore. After a few bytes of sending, the
sending
blocks. Very strange. Also mismatches in packets sent (bytes)
greetz,
Johan

deepak wrote:
After the recent iptables update on my Feisty, my DSL
connection would
sleep after a few minutes. I tried downgrading it to the
previous
version, but even that did not work. Ultimately, removing it
did.
Any ideas?

Deepak~
I just saw this again and I have to ask - What exactly does
">>>>> since my last upgrade of iptables, file sending amsn doesn't
seem to
work very well anymore. After a few bytes of sending, the
sending
blocks. Very strange. Also mismatches in packets sent (bytes)"
this mean?

In particular, what is 'amsn' ?
If it starts sending, and then hangs, it's probably not iptables
directly, since if there were a rule denying sending to a particular ip
address, subnet, net, etc., it would never start.
Mismatches in packets is also not a culprit directly of iptables that
I'm aware of...

I've heard that some people have had to remove ipv6 completely from
Ubuntu and its various implementations (kubuntu, xubuntu, etc) since
version 5, but it usually pointed to other problems which removing ipv6
happened to placate, but not really fix.

I would take a close look at your networking setup first, i.e. - if
you're running gnome, are you using network-manager ? ...
I would also look through the log files in /var/log and try running the
processes you are using from the commandline with a 2nd terminal window
watching the process and/or dmesg for other clues.

I looked back through the thread and didn't notice where you posted any
of your configuration info or output from commands like ifconfig,
netstat, hwinfo, etc to the list. These are usually very helpful in
assisting you with determining the root cause of a particular problem.

I'm glad it seems to be working for you now, but do have a look at the
suggestions above and see if you can discover any other possible
causes...

Jack