Re: running scripts before x-server starts

On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 20:25 -0400, Matt Morgan wrote:
On 7/30/07, Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 7/30/07, Naja Melan <najamelan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
hi,

im looking for a way to run a script, depending on which option in grub i
choose to run a script before xserver starts. Basically to be able to choose
between multiple xorg.conf files.

Anyone knows if it can be done?

cheers
naja

/etc/rc.local

oops, I think I'm wrong about that. It runs after x starts up. Wrote
before I thought.

MBR, GRUB, Kernel, inittab, init.d. and rcS which calls S??* scripts
in /etc/rcS.d/ in numerical/alphabetical order

So modifiy the /etc/rcX.d you want (the 'X' represent runlevels). In
each directory there is files like SXXservice and KXXservice. The S
files represent startup files and the K files represent the kill files.

The XX number in those files represent the order in which those files
are started or killed.

Simply change the number higher or lower to move the service around in
startup or shutdown.

Hope this helps,

--
Lev Lafayette
Internet Vision Technologies

  • Re: (no subject) [er...how to get rid of hibernate hooks in grub on F7]
    ... mentioned that the script I'm looking for is now located in ... see the grub screen so that I might select the windows OS instead? ... would just be handy in case I get a kernel update, but hibernate before ... I'm wondering how I can unhook the hibenate process in Fedora 7 from the ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: why I can not use the 3.2 kernel
    ... The output of the script at is in the RESULT.txt. ... And the boot menu ... Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... ... Beijing Institute of Technology ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ultimate Fedora partition scheme ?
    ... Grub was installed for this one in the ... and this is the normal default boot system. ... title Boot other linux ... Here's the save-boot script that saves the ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: system console redirection - all but boot messages redirected ttyS0?
    ... grub menu and login prompt - but, between the grub menu and the login ... The messages from userspace (ie rc script) will only go to the last ... script to allow output to go to more than 1 console. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: How to dual boot Suse and Slackware.
    ... to never modify a script that may be overwritten by an update. ... have a patched version of grub, ... http://gag.sourceforge.net/ and install each distributions boot loader ... or changes with one distro do not effect any other distro. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)