Re: Feisty: recent updates causing freezes ??

Brian Fahrlander <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
Will do. Though in the past I have had dozens of hard locks, they were
all caused by crappy video drivers (ATI 3D proprietary drivers for the
Radeon 9250).

Ya know...switching to an Nvidia card (which are now cheap, too)
might save you some trouble...expecially since your chipset is Nvidia
already. And changing out a video card is easier than a motherboard.
And I've been 'all kinds of happy' with the Nvidia-under-Linux situation.

Actually I said "in the past", because I gave up on the 3D ATI drivers,
hence the card altogether (free/open driver is stable and mature, but
adds near zero acceleration, hence pointless, while the proprietary ATI
drivers gives decent acceleration but is so rough and buggy/freeze
prone, that it was just as useless as the free driver), a year ago. I
have now an Nvidia 6200 and the proprietary 3D driver, so far, "just
works", touch wood. So I don't think the video card is causing the
recent crashes, all of a sudden.
I don't mean to knock on ATI though... I have had horror stories with
a GeForce2 for example. I would have bought Intel, since they are much
more user friendly that either ATI or Nvidia, if only they made discrete
cards, along with decent 3D performance (say equal to my current modest
GeForce 6200). 8 months ago I saw news about Intel precisely announcing
that they wanted to enter the market of high-performance discrete video
cards, along with ATI and Nvidia. But, 8 months later, I have not heard
from this plan again... I truly hope they have not given up on the
idea !
Else, there is of course the "Open Graphics" project
( http://www.traversaltech.com ), which aims at designing and producing
a fully open and quality (not consumer stuff like Nvidia or ATI) 3D
card with decent (GeForce 2 like IIRC) performance. But the project
just keeps getting delayed, and we might not see their first PCI card
(never mind PCI-X), before at least a year.. or 2... or more ?! :-/

Also, ATI implied earlier this year that they may revisit their
attitude toward the Linux world, but here too... I have not heard
anything new on this front recently... :-/

--
Vince

  • Re: Looking to upgrade my system. Your thoughts?
    ... better job at supporting Linux than ATi at the moment. ... that my nVidia card works just fine with the binary ... I've also seen an FX5200 work with the binary drivers ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Any hope for ATI drivers?
    ... > I am an very proud owner of an ATI 9700 pro card. ... > that I am _really_ disappointed because of the ATI drivers provided for ... I mean if it would be better to get an NVIDIA ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: BFG 8800 GT OC $237 at Best Buy
    ... is also much quieter than my previous X1900XT card. ... But I must say I'm really getting concerned about going back to Nvidia ... For years ATI was always accused of having bad drivers (I never in all ... clue that Nvidia's support and drivers had become so bad for so many owners. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action)
  • Re: Any hope for ATI drivers?
    ... >> I am an very proud owner of an ATI 9700 pro card. ... Now my question to you is whether there is a chance for the ATI ... I mean if it would be better to get an NVIDIA ... > This depends on which drivers you are talking about, ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Advice to upgrade graphics card
    ... If you don't mind using proprietary drivers, go for an NVIDIA board. ... While ATI cards are cheaper, and may seem like a good deal, ... difficulties finding a new graphics card. ...
    (Ubuntu)