Re: "resolv.conf" question

Thanks, Derek,
I used "prepend" keyword, and it has been working fine.

--
Soo-Hyun

On 8/15/07, Derek Broughton <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Markus Schönhaber wrote:

Soo-Hyun Choi schrieb:

I have installed and configured "dnsmasq" for caching DNS locally.
After
that, I inserted "nameserver 127.0.0.1" to "resolv.conf" file. But, the
resolv.conf file is keeping changed without my intention, which means
"nameserver 127.0.0.1" is continuously removed from the file. I am
using
a cable Internet service with DHCP IP allocation from an ISP (Internet
Service Provider).

I can only guess that the renew process of my IP from the ISP is
involved
somehow to remove the "nameserver 127.0.0.1" from my resolv.conf file.
Is
there any way that I can fix the "resolv.conf" file with my intended
contents?

If you're using dhclient to receive an IP address from your ISP you
might take a look at /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf. There you can tell
dhclient what to request from your provider's DHCP server.
For me the relevant part of the file looks like this:

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,
netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope;

You may want to remove "domain-name-servers" from that.

Or just use
prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

and leave everything else as-is. Then the first name server is 127.0.0.1
but it can still use the ISPs servers as a fallback
--
derek

  • Re: Configuring For Cache Name Server
    ... Configuring For Cache Name Server ... >> reboot of the system and the nameservers of my ISP are inserted. ... use prepend: ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Cam Setup
    ... I have to enable uPnP in my router and use a web server provided by Panasonic to provide a fixed IP address so I can access the cam from anywhere. ... Your ISP has a Terms of Service. ... Operating a "server" on your home LAN, port forwarding ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Filename that has the Vegas pro settings
    ... It downloads virus definitions from their server, ... I'll try and find a way to get my internet connection ... And the NAT provided by the router, ... are the ones provided for free by your ISP. ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: How do I get default service change to stay
    ... PITA - this is anti server behaviour by your ISP. ... If their ISP did not have these security> requirements, I would be using the POP connector to retrieve email and the ... > My only problem has been that if the ISP service in the Outlook profile is> not the default account, outbound Internet email is sent to the Exchange> server, not to the ISP mail server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Exchange Issues
    ... The problem occuring was that SPA had been ticked in the POP3 connector ... > Email and Internet Connection Wizard) first. ... > email settings of the server. ... If you need to forward internet email to your ISP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)