Re: "resolv.conf" question

Thanks, Derek,
I used "prepend" keyword, and it has been working fine.

--
Soo-Hyun

On 8/15/07, Derek Broughton <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Markus Schönhaber wrote:

Soo-Hyun Choi schrieb:

I have installed and configured "dnsmasq" for caching DNS locally.
After
that, I inserted "nameserver 127.0.0.1" to "resolv.conf" file. But, the
resolv.conf file is keeping changed without my intention, which means
"nameserver 127.0.0.1" is continuously removed from the file. I am
using
a cable Internet service with DHCP IP allocation from an ISP (Internet
Service Provider).

I can only guess that the renew process of my IP from the ISP is
involved
somehow to remove the "nameserver 127.0.0.1" from my resolv.conf file.
Is
there any way that I can fix the "resolv.conf" file with my intended
contents?

If you're using dhclient to receive an IP address from your ISP you
might take a look at /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf. There you can tell
dhclient what to request from your provider's DHCP server.
For me the relevant part of the file looks like this:

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,
netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope;

You may want to remove "domain-name-servers" from that.

Or just use
prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;

and leave everything else as-is. Then the first name server is 127.0.0.1
but it can still use the ISPs servers as a fallback
--
derek