Re: Two operating systems

On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 06:26 -0700, William Temple wrote:
I need to have windows XP on my system but would also like to use
UBUNTU.

I made a partition for Ubuntu of 29 gig,

I had the same situation. I did it wrong.
I had disconnected WIN-XP to avoid damage to WIN-XP.
It took me a second try to get it right.

The best way :
1. Get the Ubuntu-CD. For free from Ubuntu. Or download
the iso and burn it to a CD.
I asked the local LUG (Linux Users Group) to do it for me.
(Cebu city, Philippines)
They distribute the CDs for free.

2. Make sure your WIN-XP is working (starts up normal).

3. Put the Ubuntu-CD in the drive and start-up.

If all is well, the installation is automatic.
You will have a dual-boot system.
If WIN-XP comes up (instead of Ubuntu install), activate
'Boot from CD' in your BIOS. (and start again).
I found it as simple as that.

My Ubuntu-partition was on a separate harddisk (minimum
disk-space is 3GB. 6GB will last for years, for
email-only operation).

I later-on took out the Ubuntu hard-disk (to a new computer)
and I found the old/remaining XP was starting up fine on
its own. (Ubuntu did not over-write WIN-XP in any way).
The XP boot was not affected.

The kids have almost abandoned the WIN-XP computer because
it is easier for them to surf on my new Linux-only computer.
(with the broadband modem).
The kids have a choice ......
I have made my choice ..... no more WINdows for me.

Herman in PHL (Philippines).

--
Herman.
www.qrz.com/n0jn

  • Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu on Mac G5.
    ... Yaboot simply can't load OS X. it tries, and the screen flickers, but nothing happens. ... I'm quite puzzled by why OSX won't boot. ... it says that the line beginning "macosx=" should give the open firmware or unix device path to the OSX boot partition. ... You can use the mouse to select your OSX or your Ubuntu drive, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Restore /boot? (wiped out by ubuntu install)
    ... ubuntu *insisted* on ... The other choice was to use the /boot partition on /dev/sda which was also in use by fc 6. ... create a new partition where you can boot ubuntu from. ... Since both the fc 6 on sda and f8 installed on sdb are lvm based, creating a new partition would require wiping the drive, I think, Instead I had created some new LogVol's on the copious free space of 500G sdb for ubuntu where it installed OK previously. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit installed along onto Pre-Installed Windows 8 System Woes (EFI related)
    ... Ubuntu 12.10 _64 bit_ on USB flahs will boot in UEFI mode on a sane ... it will install and run with Secure Boot ON - ... Manually edited the 40_custom file under the grub.d folder to add an entry for Windows 8 with the UUID of the Window's drives boot partition. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Booting from LiveCD
    ... I booted into OpenFirmware and ... The last bit - \install\yaboot- is the path to the install program on ... I'm a complete tyro at linux but I got a version up and running on my ... I tried Ubuntu and had pretty much the same problem you have. ...
    (comp.os.linux.powerpc)
  • Another happy Ubuntu user
    ... Can't boot any Ubuntu Live CD! ... Verifying disc integrity ... I've even tried using my brother's graphics card (a higher end Radeon, ...