Re: How to avoid the Apple tax?

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 10:15 -0400, Michael R. Head wrote:
On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 13:09 +0200, Richard Bennett wrote:
Hi,
I've been looking for an ultraportable laptop to run Ubuntu Linux on, as a
more portable alternative to my current Dell that breaks my back each time
I take it with me.
Seeings as I don't need Windows I was hoping to avoid the Microsoft tax by
buying a barebones laptop that doesn't come preloaded with Windows, i
found something good here:
http://www.rkcomputer.net/store/index.php/action/item/id/181/

But by the time I loaded the options I need, and shipped it to Belgium,
paying the VAT and postage it all adds up and takes weeks. It turns out I
can get a Macbook 13" delivered free in 3 days with a US keyboard, and it
looks a lot nicer too.

The Macbook ( http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html ) weighs 5.1
pounds. The Inspiron 1420 (which can be purchased with Ubuntu
preinstalled from www.dell.com/open ) is 5 pounds
( http://www.notebookreview.com/price/default.asp?productFamilyID=1016&ref=list&display=priceDetail ).

I don't know if Dell will sell Ubuntu machines to Belgium, yet though...

Also, system76 (www.system76.com) has 4.5" Ubuntu laptops.

Richard

--
Michael R. Head <burner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>