Re: How to avoid the Apple tax?

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 10:15 -0400, Michael R. Head wrote:
On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 13:09 +0200, Richard Bennett wrote:
I've been looking for an ultraportable laptop to run Ubuntu Linux on, as a
more portable alternative to my current Dell that breaks my back each time
I take it with me.
Seeings as I don't need Windows I was hoping to avoid the Microsoft tax by
buying a barebones laptop that doesn't come preloaded with Windows, i
found something good here:

But by the time I loaded the options I need, and shipped it to Belgium,
paying the VAT and postage it all adds up and takes weeks. It turns out I
can get a Macbook 13" delivered free in 3 days with a US keyboard, and it
looks a lot nicer too.

The Macbook ( ) weighs 5.1
pounds. The Inspiron 1420 (which can be purchased with Ubuntu
preinstalled from ) is 5 pounds
( ).

I don't know if Dell will sell Ubuntu machines to Belgium, yet though...

Also, system76 ( has 4.5" Ubuntu laptops.

Michael R. Head <burner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Michael R. Head <burner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: