Re: How to avoid the Apple tax?

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 10:15 -0400, Michael R. Head wrote:
On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 13:09 +0200, Richard Bennett wrote:
Hi,
I've been looking for an ultraportable laptop to run Ubuntu Linux on, as a
more portable alternative to my current Dell that breaks my back each time
I take it with me.
Seeings as I don't need Windows I was hoping to avoid the Microsoft tax by
buying a barebones laptop that doesn't come preloaded with Windows, i
found something good here:
http://www.rkcomputer.net/store/index.php/action/item/id/181/

But by the time I loaded the options I need, and shipped it to Belgium,
paying the VAT and postage it all adds up and takes weeks. It turns out I
can get a Macbook 13" delivered free in 3 days with a US keyboard, and it
looks a lot nicer too.

The Macbook ( http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html ) weighs 5.1
pounds. The Inspiron 1420 (which can be purchased with Ubuntu
preinstalled from www.dell.com/open ) is 5 pounds
( http://www.notebookreview.com/price/default.asp?productFamilyID=1016&ref=list&display=priceDetail ).

I don't know if Dell will sell Ubuntu machines to Belgium, yet though...

Also, system76 (www.system76.com) has 4.5" Ubuntu laptops.

Richard

--
Michael R. Head <burner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding

--
Michael R. Head <burner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding

  • Re: Laptop linux supported
    ... Dell is providing the Ubuntu laptops. ... Like you have Seen the Windows ... In the Same way Dell is also Giving the Ubuntu ... dell Ubuntu laptop. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Laptop linux supported
    ... Dell is providing the Ubuntu laptops. ... Like you have Seen the Windows ... In the Same way Dell is also Giving the Ubuntu ... dell Ubuntu laptop. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Migrate Ubuntu to a bigger disk on a laptop
    ... I have ubuntu 8.10 running on my laptop. ... It is a 40gb disk. ... take the pkg list file from remote machine and pipe it through ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Best and most popular distros for the enterprise desktop
    ... :P My first exposure to ... My laptop has had a number of installs on it. ... Ubuntu is what it shipped with. ... to Debian, partially for consistency. ...
    (Debian-User)