Re: Writing a daemon

Jack Bowling wrote:
On Sat, Sep 08, 2007 at 10:18:43AM -0500, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
I'm trying to write a daemon, probably in perl, to listen on a port
and the write to a 1-wire network. Surprisingly, the 1-wire thing is
the easy part- it's just files.

But I want to make the 1-wire display listen to TCP; telnet to it,
it shows up on the screen.

Does anyone have any history on how I might start something like this?

The one I use is ttywatch, originally written by then-Red Hat employee
Michael Johnson. Runs as a daemon to which you give it various parameters
such as serial port to monitor, speed, log file name, etc. Googling for ttywatch should bring you right to the tarball. Latest is ttywatch-0.14.

I use it at work in combination with a perl script to get pressure readings
off various barometers. Works great. Not sure from your email if you want
to both read and write to a port but with ttywatch and perl you can glue
anything together.

Interesting; though I've already found a code snippet in Perl and
made both client and server, I appreciate finding tools like this, from
time to time, thanks.

  • WSDL/SOAP/XML-RPC HELP
    ... I have to define and make something like virtual driver for serial port ... It is not important what is connected on serial port. ... I read some tutorials, guides on XML-RPC, SOAP and WSDL, ... I was planning to use Perl becouse I know something about it. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Begginer Question about TK::filevent
    ... I am beginer in Perl. ... receiving and transmitting on same or diffrent ports depending on the ... Serial port becomes readable. ... I wish to call &read_comport whenever my comport becomes readable ...
    (comp.lang.perl)
  • Re: Using perl to send sms through siemens tc65
    ... just posting on this group (because I am after all a perl beginner). ... I connected the tc65 to the computer and used minicom to check, ... Perl using a serial port module: ... Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/ ...
    (perl.beginners)
  • Re: XP Serial port control
    ... > cubscout wrote: ... >> I am trying to use the serial port from perl, ... So I was going to suggest that the op try and dig up that ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • currently promoted serial access techniques
    ... My useage of perl now dates back to the 90's and I was wondering if ... as the common way to access the serial port from Linux using perl. ... Device::SerialPort the same task will be accorded to our Unix users. ...
    (perl.beginners)