PM-Timer Bug in DMESG log

I have a message (listed below) in my dmesg log, and was hoping I could toss
this out to the community for more information. I've tried searching
online, but couldn't find any concrete details.

The message is:

[ 0.163416] * The chipset may have PM-Timer Bug. Due to workarounds for a
bug,

[ 0.163421] * this clock source is slow. If you are sure your timer does
not have

[ 0.163425] * this bug, please use "acpi_pm_good" to disable the
workaround

[ 0.163463] * The chipset may have PM-Timer Bug. Due to workarounds for a
bug,

[ 0.163467] * this clock source is slow. If you are sure your timer does
not have

[ 0.163471] * this bug, please use "acpi_pm_good" to disable the
workaround

I have two questions related to this:

1. How do I determine if my chipset has the PM-Timer Bug?
2. Is this anything I need to be concerned about, or is it a benign
issue?

For reference, I am running Xubuntu Command-Line Server Feisty 7.04 on a
Dell PowerEdge 4400, Dual 866 Mhz processors.

Thanks much.

Chris

  • Re: 2.6.24-rc8 hangs at mfgpt-timer
    ... this BIOS's workaround. ... the TinyBIOS "workaround" is the same thing. ... Like I may have said before, there is a reason why this MSR is undocumented. ... We control the timer and the status bits for the timer in the setup ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: 2.6.24-rc8 hangs at mfgpt-timer
    ... I'm trying to boot 2.6.24-rc8 on a GEODE LX board, ... What BIOS are you using? ... "MFGPT workaround"? ... We changed the API to work better with the timer tick, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Impossibly Slow Load-Time for Cross-Reference Window Items
    ... > fixed in SP1. ... > Clive's Word 2001 Workaround: ... > with MacWord than the reload bug itself. ... >> to go through before I can clear an update for installation on the ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Microsoft Cries Wolf ( again )
    ... > The ZDNet article hit the point right on the head. ... While I agree, that you should at least provide some kind of workaround, I ... strongly disagree with criminalizing anyone who stands for full disclosure. ... "A bug like this could be triggered via a number of means...through e-mail, ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: ACPI PM-Timer on K6-3 SiS5591: Houston...
    ... this isn't the bug which is handled by the read-three-times-workaround. ... that handels the following PIIX4 errata: ... The power management timer may return improper results when read. ... Although the timer value settles properly after incrementing, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)