Re: Back to ubuntu

On 09/16/2007 03:47 PM, debian wrote:
Derek Broughton wrote:
debian wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

debian wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

If your wireless works under KDE, it'll work under Gnome.

ok then how come i can only compile and install them in kubuntu 6.06,
but not in regular ubuntu 6.06 or any other version of ubuntu?

You tell me, What sort of error did you get? Compilers are _also_ not
specific to either KDE or Gnome.

so i attempted to compile the drivers on ubuntu 7.04, and heres what it
gave me:

i dont know if the following is of any help, but the site said that i
had to run clean.sh, which uninstalles my usb drivers so i can compile
their modified usb drivers and install them.

I also installed GCC, CPP, Build-essential, and updated my linux headers
(which were already up to date, i just what they recommended)

its strange how it only works on kubuntu 6.06, cause i tried it on
regular ubuntu 6.06 and it gave me the same exact thing

Off the top of my head, without having tried to compile it myself, I'd say
that under kubuntu 6.06 you were using a compatible kernel, and support has
been removed in later kernels - but it's also possible that your kernel is
not compiled with the necessary options. I've had my own problems with
drivers like that... I used to boot into a 2.4 kernel to go online, then
reboot into a 2.6 kernel to do real work (without Internet access) :-(

The tough part here is that if you ever upgrade your kernel, you're now
hosed, unless you figure out how to get the driver to compile. What
exactly are the driver and the device?

the driver i am using came with the rndiswrapper (thats the only way i
know how to explain, if you want more info, visit : www.jooz.net/rndis
). the device is a linksys wusb54gsc.

this driver is kinda old, it was created around late 2006. so, since i
dont know C++ enough to recreate the driver, i guess im stuck with the
old kernel. ofcoarse i could just do what you did, use one kernel for
internet, and one for work.

______i also remember trying to compile it on ubuntu 6.06 with the same
kernel and it gave me the same problem.______

--cj

No idea regarding the device, but a little googling produced:

<http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/index.php?/component/option,com_openwiki/Itemid,33/id,list_g-l/>
[Card: Linksys WUSB54GSC, 802.11b/g, USB 2.0]
<quote>
Other: With 2.6.16 and later kernels, RNDIS devices are not initialized
(when device is plugged in, nothing happens). To get it going, you need
to set the variable bConfigurationValue in sysfs. An easy way to do this
is to add this: BUS==”usb”, SYSFS{idProduct}==”0026”,
SYSFS{idVendor}==”13b1”, PROGRAM=”/bin/sh -c ‘echo 1 >
/sys/%p/device/bConfigurationValue’” to /etc/udev/rules.d/<ruleFilename>
file and restart udev. For FC6 <ruleFilename> is 50-udev.rules.
</quote>

Perhaps those will help?

  • Compiling the drivers for a ADSL Modem (IceData500)
    ... My modem model is IceData500 and the vendor says it is compatible with RH ... The unicorn driver is a standard Linux ... PPPoE, PPPoA or RFC2684 protocols, the kernel may need to be patched. ... To compile the drivers, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: modules load
    ... The Handbook is not so clear about what you must compile ... > kernel, ... modules (the nVidia graphics driver is a good example of the latter). ... system sources, you can just look at the source code for each driver ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Compiling driver fails, missing system headers.
    ... Kernel driver in use: tg3 ... The driver I'm trying to compile is found here: ... Not specific to Ubuntu. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • wusb54gsc on ubuntu, was:Back to ubuntu
    ... but not in regular ubuntu 6.06 or any other version of ubuntu? ... so i attempted to compile the drivers on ubuntu 7.04, ... that under kubuntu 6.06 you were using a compatible kernel, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Between F11 and F12, which would you choose?
    ... Compiled and work on F12. ... The ACPI only works on the kernel 2.6.32-git* series on a ASUStek ... I compiled and installed a Ethernet driver for Realtek 8111/8168B from ... to compile the latest stable kernel to put ACPI (hibernate and suspend ...
    (Fedora)