Re: automagic way to (re-)install all packages on a system?

Jeff.Hodges@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Here's a scenario..

I'm wondering if there's an automagic way to re-install all packages that are
installed on a given "source" system -- e.g. have synaptic or aptitude write
out a file of a system's current set of installed packages, then be able to do
an ubuntu install on a new "target" system, say, and then feed that file to
synaptic/aptitude/whatever, and have all the packages that'd been installed on
the source system installed on the target system.

I've poked thru the man pages and help files and maybe I missed it, but I
didn't see anything that looked like it unequivocally satisfied the above
scenario.

Is there a (straightforward) way to do this?

You've got several options. Off the top of my head, these are two of them.:

The first is apt-mirror package (sudo apt-get install apt-mirror). With
it you can make a local mirror of all of the installed packages on your
system. You can then use it to install the same packages on a different
box. I've not done it in a while, but I just burned the mirror I made
to DVD and then used the DVD as a source for my new install.

There is no single metapackage in this instance though.

But speaking of metapackages. - lately I've been using the aptoncd app
(sudo apt-get install aptoncd). It will burn all of the packages in
your apt cache as well as any extras you select from elsewhere on your
system (say you downloaded a .deb file from some website) to a CD or DVD
(one or more as needed).

The only downside is that it's not going to include any packages that
you installed originally from a CD/DVD (i.e. a regular Ubuntu install
CD). There are ways around this though. In my case I started off by
installing Ubuntu from a netboot CD [1]. That way everything was in my
package cache.

[1]
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/feisty/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

BTW, that CD is on any Ubuntu mirror. I just used the main site as an
example. It's an 8.8MB file.

APTonCD is a cool app. It's GNOME based. Check it out @
http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

--
Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com

  • Re: Switching from teTeX to TexLive in Ubuntu
    ... packages everything except: only Dutch language packs; ... using the Debian packages of TL. ... You are using the Ubuntu packages. ... It is a requirement for having different packages being able to install ...
    (comp.text.tex)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 83, Issue 5
    ... connection on Ubuntu, but works fine on my wife's XP. ... Re: fresh install ... anyone installed libreoffice 3.4.0 on ubuntu 11.04? ... see that the install tarball produces some 54 .deb packages. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Restore Dapper after Edgy
    ... if it is perhaps you mean sudo aptitude install ... The following packages will be automatically REMOVED: ... if you install the ubuntu desktop package ... (compiler versions, library version etc), so they create software packages ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Restore Dapper after Edgy
    ... if it is perhaps you mean sudo aptitude install ... The following packages will be automatically REMOVED: ... if you install the ubuntu desktop package ... Dapper is stable condition. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • FS: Complete Linux Recording Package Ready To Roll.
    ... How to install Rehmudi-2.0 ... if you don't have any sound, ... dependencies of Agnula Packages ... ... from the new kernel. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)