Re: Screen goes blank loading X after upgrading memory

On Saturday 22 September 2007 10:27:41 Joachim Struss, Antonia Kostarakis
wrote:
On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 22:38 +0200, Marcelino Luna wrote:
I have this strange problem that is driving me nuts.

Since I upgraded my PC (Kudoz 7 motherboard with a memory frequency of
266 Mhz, an Athlon 1400Mhz and an Nvidia Geforce 4200) with a 512MB
DDR-333 module (a total of 1GB) Kubuntu seems to start but when the X
server loads the image on the screen goes blank (the monitor 'says' it
has no signal). Meanwhile I can hear what seems to be the desktop
finishing the loading.

The machine seems to work well with Windows and so it does Linux if I
let it with just 512MB, the old two 256MB modules or the new one.

I've tried to install Kubuntu on another hard disk and the problem arose
just when I installed the Nvidia drivers.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

//.arce

I know exactly what it feels like. I have the same problem, but with a
new install on a computer I just bought.
My system: Intel C2Duo. Graphics: Nvidia GF 8500GT (512Mb). Monitor:Acer
1680x 1050 resolution.
I tried to install the 64bit edition of Gutsy. Monitor of. After that I
tried the 64bit Feisty. Same thing. Well it actually installs and boots.
I was able to switch the monitor back on after a minute or so and was at
the login screen. I am dual booting though and was not able to access
the boot option screen anymore.
This is only happening to me with the 64bit edition though. I have since
gone back to the 32bit and do not have any problems with it.

Hi

Not sure but it could be a driver issue. I've had a number of instances where
I got a blank screen after installing an nvidia driver. Can you access a
terminal window via CTRL ALT F1 ? If so you can then edit
your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and temporarily change the driver to nv or vesa.

How did you install the nvidia driver? From nvidia driver direct from the
nvidia site? Form automatix? Or via the envy script? If one of these got you
where you are, one of the others may get you going

James

--
He who tiptoes cannot stand;
He who strides cannot walk.

Taoism. Tao Te Ching 24

  • Re: google-earth anybody?
    ... I first tried to dl and install with dpkg, ... which downloaded yet another copy from google. ... as fast as the nvidia driver, but a hell of a lot less hassle. ... motors more than 3 or 4 rpms with self generated steps. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: 2 pane, swiss army knife file manager?
    ... But if he compiled his own kernel correctly then he should be able to ... compile the nVidia driver for it. ... motor with its 200 millisecond long IRQ lockouts. ... nouveau driver which is used when you install the the distro you ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Probably stupid question, but
    ... olde time Red Hat users expect to install exotic apps ... I'm running 13.04 and the nVidia driver, ... since Ubuntu is FAR more liberal ... the package clearly fails, or cannot be obtained any other way. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: 2 pane, swiss army knife file manager?
    ... I compile my own nVidia driver every ... machinery with that driver. ... nouveau driver which is used when you install the the distro you are using? ... you mention "the real time kernel". ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: More Nvidia issues on 9.1
    ... > as the security kernel patches etc. Downloaded the latest Nvidia driver ... Trying to install it will produce ... I download the NVIDIA driver installer from NVIDIA. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)