Re: ubuntu server 7.04 console framebuffer resolution

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 02:08:12PM -0400, Clem Takahashi wrote:
Thanks, Mitch. Your suggestion works on an ubuntu desktop install, but not
on my ubuntu server install. Just to be clear, my installation iso is
ubuntu-7.04-server-i386.iso, not ubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso. Framebuffer
doesn't show up in dmesg (using sudo just to be sure):

$ sudo dmesg | grep framebuffer
Password:
$

and adding the "vga=<vesa number>" option in menu.lst results in an
unrecognized video mode on reboot. However, there is an fbcon module, and
three other modules that use it:

$ lsmod | grep fbcon
fbcon 42656 0
tileblit 3584 1 fbcon
font 9216 1 fbcon
bitblit 6912 1 fbcon

so framebuffer is apparently not compiled into the kernel, but is loaded as
a module. Is there a way to change the video mode, either in the init
scripts when the module is loaded, or once the machine is up?

Clem

You need the vesafb module to load at boot. I haven't tried to change
initramfs before, but...

Check and make sure the module exists:

find /lib/modules/$(uname -r) -name "vesafb.ko"

I *think* you can add vesafb to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
and then 'sudo update-initramfs'.

Update the following line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

# defoptions=quiet splash vga=<vesa number>

Reboot and see what happens.

You may want to read the initramfs docs first, or wait from someone
whose done this before to chime in, but I think this will do the trick.

--
Mitch