Re: root password setting unoffered at install

David Vincent wrote:
Eric S. Johansson wrote:

I have not figured out how to use vmware server's remote console without having
a root password enabled on the host machine. Any suggestions?

which ubuntu are you running and which vmware server and where did you
install from?

there is a bug in the 1.03 version in the commercial repo for feisty
where remote console login does not work but there is an easy workaround.

if you installed 1.04 from the vmware site it should work for you (it
worked for me). make sure you have xinetd installed.

1.0.4 server on dapper (606lts). Personally I never use the repository images
and always built from scratch because my usual experiences that the vmware .deb
fail and I don't have time to debug. I also stick to 606 because everything
else is horribly unreliable/unsupported (from a virtual machine perspective).

When I tried non-root IDs, they usually give me permission failed unless I make
everything 777. I'll take adding a root password over that.

  • Re: VmWare?
    ... software builds in a linux envronment on Mac Mini running leopard. ... I just crank up the VMware engine running linux and start ... You install it, create a virtual PC that has ... I have a linux box running Ubuntu and the choices Ive ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Re: Dual Boot - Ubuntu - XP
    ... Then download the Ubuntu iso. ... the VMware VM. ... Then you boot the VM and it will boot into the Ubuntu ... That's to install Ubuntu to the VM. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Wine & Office 97
    ... Yes I was using win 98se under vmware and office 97 respectively access ... When I imagine the szenario of ten ex w98 machines now running Ubuntu, ... the hardware detection problems of win98. ... modern hardware machines and vmware server will run on any ubuntu ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Auto Start
    ... Installed on that is Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 64 bit, ... After updating I also Installed VMware ... This required that install ... Now I am not able to start Apache2 on my HOST machine, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Intel Pro/1000 driver for 5.0.6
    ... SCO system running under VMWare and sidestep hardware driver support ... Could I download and run VMware Server on that, ... emulation and Intel Pro/1000 NIC emulation, Install OSR506 from CD ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)