Re: Life on the Command Line

Peter Garrett wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 17:35:53 +0000
Rosalind Mitchell <rcm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How far do others manage to get using text-based applications only? Any
real hidden gems I should be aware of?

At the risk of being accused of self-promotion... Have a look at the INX
live CD linked in my .sig :) Start with watching the slideshow at:

Others have mentioned quite a few apps...

Nice job, from the screenshots there appears to use some programs that I
don't know.

Is there a list with the programs that the Live CD brings? (My
connection is slow, so I can't just download it and see)

There is also the fbi program, which is a console-only image viewer
( included in INX) The associated fbgs program displays pdf, too.

A couple of other file managers : linm, vifm
Graphical browsing with svga or framebuffer: links2 -g ( also called as

Linm seems nice, I think I'll try it on.

If programs that use svga or framebuffer counts, then I'll suggest
PrBoom (Doom 2 clone) and Xmame.sgva.

ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
- against HTML email X
& vCards / \