Re: using other distro's repos?

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 01:31:45 -0500
anthony baldwin <anthony.baldwin01@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is it possible to enable repos from other .deb based distros?

Yes, it's *possible* Dogs can walk on their hind legs, too...

For instance, would it be possible...or, perhaps, rather, would it
work, to add, for instance, Mepis repos to my apt sources list, or linux
mint (I know
they use ubuntu repos)?

Be *very* *very* careful... different distros, Debian-based though they
may be, are not necessarily using *currently* Ubuntu-compatible packages.
For example, Debian Sid is a moving target, Debian testing is a moving
target, Debian stable is behind and not moving... that's what "stable"
means in the Debian context, amongst other things.... as it does in
Ubuntu for that matter. At any given time. whether any of these are
compatible with Ubuntu ( $VERSION) is either a lottery or requires an
intimate knowledge of the state of development of both/all distros
concerned. At the least, it requires common sense ( "Help, I updated libc6
from $REPO and now everything is b0rked!")

We can use actual Debian repos, no?

See above, You get to keep all the pieces if it breaks...

I'm also wondering if on an rpm based distro, if one can add repos from
other distros.
(ie, say you are using PCLOS, can you add fedora repos?)

No idea. Totally off-topic <points at list name> *grin*

Would this be potentially detrimental?

Almost certainly, since afaik PCLOS is based on Mandriva, not Red
Hat/Fedora

Should I be asking this on the apt-rpm or apt lists?

You would probably get flamed...

Do I ask too many silly questions?

Not so much silly as directed to the wrong list?

What color socks are you wearing?

Socks are superfluous :) Ask the ghost of Einstein. Oh, shaving cream is
also superfluous...

(Hey, at least I'm not writing upside down...)

No, just thinking upside down :)
It used to be known as "a rush of blood to the head " I believe... ( /me
runs and ducks)

Peter
--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

  • Re: using other distros repos?
    ... work, to add, for instance, Mepis repos to my apt sources list, or linux ... For example, Debian Sid is a moving target, Debian testing is a moving ... Ubuntu for that matter. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [Ubuntu 8.10] Need help getting out of odd update manager loop
    ... Be very careful adding repos to your system. ... different versions and can cause major havoc to an Ubuntu system. ... If you absolutely must have a package ... Not sure if those are helpful, but if you post the name of the debian ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • RE: Flash Problem
    ... Ubuntu repos. ... They all tell me to d/l the latest Flash Player. ... Adobe site where I had the opportunity to obtain Adobe Flash Player ... the flashplugin-nonfree package in the main Hardy repos is really ver 9 ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Introduction [OT]
    ... was referring to was the pain incumbent on the user to get at 3rd party ... party Fedora repos to do things one way or another, ... I admit I'm more proficient with CentOS than Fedora, but there's always a rule of thumb to follow: be careful when mixing third party repos... ... With Ubuntu, 99% of the stuff I need seems to be in the official repos already. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Flashplugin-nonfree
    ... but is in the partner repos: ... Well, seamonkey is in universe, which provides no guarantees. ... That is "maintained" by Ubuntu folks: ... Maintainer: Ubuntu-Mozilla-Team ...
    (Ubuntu)