Re: /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

On Monday 21 January 2008 Nils Kassube's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
Gérard BIGOT wrote:
[Instructions how to become root]

Thank you for your effort to explain how to become root. But, sorry, it
seems we were'nt talking the same language. I do know how to become root
and how the prompt might look like. I just don't think it is obvious that
a command should be used with sudo, if there is only a '#' as an
indication. Probably I should have written it more precisely.

It is a common practice in a lot of Unix books to indicate with $ a command
line for the normale user and with # the command line for the super user. The
fact that ubuntu suggests sudo is not relevant here, I use always the root
account. The real problem here is that $ usually means the prompt of a
normale user, while # not.

And that's what I think isn't useful. If somebody asks for a command on
the list, it should not be expected that he sees or even knows the little
difference between a '#' and a '$' in front of the real command. If I
tell someone a command which should be run as root, I would either
write "sudo some command" or I would mention that it should be run in a
root shell.

Surely it could be detailed to run sudo or a root shell, but as I wrote above,
I think it's a common practice to use # before a single command line to
indicate to run it as root. Moreover we are talking of the /proc filesystem
here, and I don't see any way of confusing the user that should manipulate
such file system.

Luca

  • Re: [kde] su identification
    ... assumes that you wish to invoke the root account and will demand Root ... A user may ONLY sudo as allowed in the /etc/sudoers ... allowing a command with any parameters ... This config allows my normal user to do whatever he'd normally be able to ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Clams.....
    ... either by su> password> Kate, ... running in root. ... have you set up sudo? ... the command sudo gedit /etc/filename would ask for the user ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: any way to track commands of a user logged in through ssh
    ... applies _to that command only_. ... the command they want to run with 'sudo', ... I use/run a Shell command that requires 'root' privileges...Especially ... So what do you think about creating a separate 'group' for certain ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Should openSUSE review its Security Policies?
    ... We are defining 'command' differently. ... When discussing root permissions, I define commands at the OS level. ... sudo lets me run a complete binary application as a different user. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Apple recommending anti-virus software for Macs?
    ... > To be ultra-safe with the 'rm' command, ... Not a bad idea for root, It would drive me nuts in my user account. ... downloads directory and executing it. ... That I type an EOF is a trivial difference versus 'sudo' exiting ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)