Re: File Association for JARS

The best application server on earth

One does have to question the wisdom of Sun make file.jar behave as both
but thats how it is.

Huh? There are any number of applications that use zip (or similar)
formats
for file storage. Off the top of my head, python eggs, GIS shape files,
Google maps files, ARGO UML models... There's nothing "unwise" about it,
and for sparse data that is expected to be transmitted across a network,
it
makes a lot of sense.

FILE.JAR

So tell me... is this an Executable Jar or a ZIP ?
Its not that zip compression is bad ... ha ha

Its that one cant tell by just looking at it.

Dont you think that maybe if it was JEXE it would have been better.

Jar is always a ZIP, but not compatible with all compression standards.
ie one cant pack class files with any zip utility and rename it jar... but
thats ok.

BUT a JAR is not always an executable... oops... not so smart I think.
There is no magic number to help either, the difference is in the internal
manifest file.

In Kubuntu, go to Konqueror, Settings, File Associations. Select "*.jar",
add (DON'T replace) a command to execute the jar. Keep the existing one -
you WILL eventually want to see what's in a jar file - but you might want
the execution mode to be the default. Gnome has something very similar.

Ok... thanks anyway...... sounds the same as Debian

  • Re: Icon Launcher + .jar file
    ... To the best of my knowledge, you cannot execute a jar the same way that you ... file using the -jar option of the java program. ... > If I use Nautilus to go to the installed directory, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Icon Launcher + .jar file
    ... that you would execute a script or an executable program. ... normally execute a jar file using the -jar option of the java ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: How Do I Publish My Working Project (corresponding dot jar doesnt work on others PCs)
    ... Once my NetBeans project is finalized what do I have to do to create an executable others can execute without having NetBeans directly installed on the computer. ... Only this type of project creates the necessary manifest in the project jar for it to be run simply by the java -jar project.jar command. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: JAR file association on Windows 7 broken
    ... putting the jar in the ext dir would effectively put the jar on the ... on the command line execute the jar. ... temporary file marking mechanism? ... It could be a reserved lead character ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: Transcender Question Please Help
    ... Thats what I got too.. ... I emailed the tran tech group ... "JaR" wrote: ... Prev by Date: ...
    (microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcsa)