Re: samba times out during transfer

On 02/06/2008 09:35 PM, joe wrote:
haven't found anything useful with Google yet so...

Transferring between desktop and laptop over wireless. Transfers time
out and it will not allow me to retry. Some finish some do not. Could
not find an option in /etc/smb.conf for timeout setting. Anyone know
where this can be adjusted?

Thank in advance,
Joe.

P.S. over wired network transfers between desktops finish fine.

Have a look here & see if any of that helps:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/appb_02.html

FWIW - my [global] settings on my desktops are quite similar to the
recommended settings in the appb_02.html. My socket otions are only set
to "TCP_NODELAY. The only problems that I've had is with a laptop with
the standard 'off the shelf' smb.conf file installed by Ubuntu - my file
transfers were taking forever. Once I copied my smb.conf over from the
desktop to the laptop & modified accordingly the transfers worked just
fine. However I only have 'wired' connections.

Also, worth bookmarking:

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/speed.html

  • 6.0-BETA1 atapicam and acpi problems
    ... I've always had to use atapicam with it because there's no native ATA ... da0: 33.000MB/s transfers ... The laptop has ACPI issues--it worked fine with 5.4, ... garbled--I have to reboot via ssh. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: syncing PC and laptop
    ... On Thursday 22 June 2006 12:34, Duncan Lithgow wrote: ... I use rsync for this exact purpose. ... from the pc come to the laptop. ... The nice thing about rsync is that it keeps the transfers small by checking ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Transfering files from main computer to notebook
    ... Since you have a network, that's how you'll do the transfers. ... Microsoft MVP - Publisher ... some but not all of the files to my laptop. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Transfer of files from desktop to notebook
    ... Nade, I am not sure this will help, but I transfer files from laptop to ... cable connection between the computers. ... I do the transfers mainly through the USB ports. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Beethoven Symphony 5 - Steinberg/PO
    ... transfers of Steinberg's set of the Beethoven symphonies. ... my settings for this Steinberg LP of the 5th settled on the ... recalling that my perhaps bizarre settings ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)