hung boot process
- From: Bob Holtzman <holtzm@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:37:12 -0700 (MST)
Please excuse the long post. I'm trying out Ubunt for the first time
After deleting the OEM installation of 7.10 because I don't like 1 big
partition. I reinstalled and set up /, /boot, /usr and /home. The
installation appeared to go well so I shut down the box, changed the bios
to boot from the hard drive and continued to boot the system. Everything came
to a stop during loading grub and displayed error 15.
A search for error 15 yielded:
1. check rootline in grub.config --> locate *grub.config came up blank
2. reinstall grub w/ grub-install --> /boot initially was missing grub.
ran /sbin/grub-install and /boot/grub appeared but contained only
a device.map file
3. check /boot partition --> fsck -v /dev/sda6 showed it was clean
4. check for /boot/grub/menu.list --> see no. 2 above.
I tried deleting all partitions and reinstalling a couple of times with
the same result.
"If you think you're getting free lunch,
......check the price of the beer!"
ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users