Re: Printer invisible thru USB-switch

Am Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:12:38 +0100
schrieb Tom Rausner <tom@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Hey there !

I'm not new to Linux or even to Ubuntu but I've got a problem I can't
handle. My whife and I have been using different printers until now,
for technical reasons, but from now on we are going to use the same
printer. To make things easy I've invested in a USB-switch to make it
possible to switch on to the printer when ever one of us want to.
Just to make it tricky my whife is a windows-user and I'm a dedicated
Ubuntu fan. So I went and got a "ATEN US-401 USB-SWITCH". Windows
handles it fine (it's a windows thing) BUT Ubuntu can't see the
printer thru the switch and nothing I do seems to make any
difference. Is there a way round the problem or have I just waisted
my money ?

Sorry to say, but yes. You should have bought something like this:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS121.aspx
With a print server there is no need to switch, you could use the
printer from all computers inside your local network.

Gerald

  • Printer invisible thru USB-switch
    ... I'm not new to Linux or even to Ubuntu but I've got a problem I can't ... switch on to the printer when ever one of us want to. ... tricky my whife is a windows-user and I'm a dedicated Ubuntu fan. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Printer invisible thru USB-switch
    ... I'm not new to Linux or even to Ubuntu but I've got a problem I can't ... switch on to the printer when ever one of us want to. ... tricky my whife is a windows-user and I'm a dedicated Ubuntu fan. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Are we all crazy?
    ... IT'S VISTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... Yes it's faster but only switch on and off (computer switch on and ... I was told that it's faster ONLY coz Microsoft made it less secure. ... You can't do any real work with Ubuntu. ...
  • Re: Welches Linux zu Beginn und wo drauf?
    ... Ubuntu ist IMHO wieder etwas Windows-ferner in der Bedienung, aber wenn man sich damit anfreunden kann, nicht schlechter. ... Aktuelle Linuxe beherrschen es, eine vorhandene Partition auf einer Windows-Festplatte ohne Datenverlust zu verkleinern, um Platz für eine Linux-Partition freizumachen. ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware)
  • RE: Nvidia headaches or bad motherboard?
    ... I use a KVM switch and in order to get Ubuntu to recognise the monitor ... Turn on first box and make sure KVM is switched to it. ...
    (Ubuntu)