Re: Printer invisible thru USB-switch

Am Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:12:38 +0100
schrieb Tom Rausner <tom@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Hey there !

I'm not new to Linux or even to Ubuntu but I've got a problem I can't
handle. My whife and I have been using different printers until now,
for technical reasons, but from now on we are going to use the same
printer. To make things easy I've invested in a USB-switch to make it
possible to switch on to the printer when ever one of us want to.
Just to make it tricky my whife is a windows-user and I'm a dedicated
Ubuntu fan. So I went and got a "ATEN US-401 USB-SWITCH". Windows
handles it fine (it's a windows thing) BUT Ubuntu can't see the
printer thru the switch and nothing I do seems to make any
difference. Is there a way round the problem or have I just waisted
my money ?

Sorry to say, but yes. You should have bought something like this:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/PrintServers/WiredPrintServers/PS121.aspx
With a print server there is no need to switch, you could use the
printer from all computers inside your local network.

Gerald