Re: Migrating a FC5 server to Ubuntu

On Wed 20 Feb 2008 11:55:37 A. Rick Anderson wrote:
I am building a new Ubuntu machine. Over the years, my FC5 machine has
just become non-maintainable, so I'd like to migrate my existing user
accounts, email etc from my FC5 machine to Ubuntu.

Since you don't mention the problems you faced, it's hard to guarantee you
won't face them again.

My primary fat email client is Mozilla. For some reason, on the FC5
machinem, Thunderbird can't find the existing accounts, so it won't
migrate them (part of why I want to just bag the old machine and start
over). I would like to figure out how to migrate these mail accounts to
the new server.

I don't really understand what you mean, but may I assume you are talking
about local accounts, and not virtual users defined in some sql db?

Do they access emails on POP, IMAP, direct shell access?

Do you store mail in mbox format or Maildir? Do you intend to change that?

What is the best way to migrate these user accounts over?

How about just batch recreate all the accounts? You can extract the passwords
from /etc/shadow into a file in format login:passhash (one per line) and use
chpasswd to batch reset them, so the process should be fairly transparent to
the users.

I did this when migrating from slackware to debian.

I've got a High Point 133 FakeRaid card, and 2 250 GByte drives
available, but based on what I am hearing, I don't see any point in
using the High Point card, but should just use the software RAID in Ubuntu.

From fake to fake, I suspect mdadm has a larger userbase, which almost always
favor bug reporting/fixing. Maybe it has some performance benefit over mdadm,
but I hardly think it would be noticeable. YMMV.

regards
FF

  • Re: Manage passwords
    ... Do you know any password manager software that can keep my accounts ... Distributions installed SuSE 10.1 OSS, Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake (next ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Remote Desktop : Connecting to a WinXP machine ?
    ... I enable it, but when I try to connect to it with Ubuntu, Windows asks ... administrator privelages, ... Or if it is the number of accounts, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: a problem with gnucash
    ... on my laptop via Apt in Ubuntu Edgy when I used my Wireless card at my ... Basically I have 4 accounts I would like to add and as far as I am aware ... I had trouble running GnuCash in Edgy and sought help on the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Migrating a FC5 server to Ubuntu
    ... accounts, email etc from my FC5 machine to Ubuntu. ... about is preserving is my personal emails that are stored in Mozilla ... Thunderbird doesn't expect to find it. ... but should just use the software RAID in Ubuntu. ...
    (Ubuntu)