Re: Partition Reorganization / successfull ;-)

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 09:19 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
i-ubux@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
i-ubux@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Of course i had tested it working not only ONE time ...
... few times. I was able to boot from both the installations ...
... as long the original sda2 was present ! ;-)

Ooops - now it would be interesting to know which step was missing.

As already written in another reply: I have absolutely no clue
what I missed or what I have done wrongly. ;-(
Sorry !

To save your data, I would suggest to us the Ubuntu Live CD. From the
Live CD you can mount the relevant partitions and copy the data
preferably to another machine.

For the very first time I had tried this yesterday too and
as a total Linux Greenhorn I was unable to get done how and what's
needed. ;-(
I really do appreciate some more specific guidance here: TIA ! ;-)

There are several ways to copy files from one machine to another - ssh,
nfs, samba, sshfs, probably more. I think, the easiest is ssh. Install
the package openssh-server on one of the machines - yes, you can install
it on a system running from a live cd too (if you have enough memory),
but that would not be persistant. Then use the scp command from the other
machine to copy the files. See "man scp" for details.

Just have read about rdiff & rsync !
Installed both with Synaptic but I cannot find them !!
How to find and use them ?
Or did I choose the wrong ones ??

I am sure (now, new) sd3 is a ext3 partition.
Sometimes I see it displayed as ext3sf !?!?
How comes ??

Where do you see it as ext3sf? Can you mount the partition from a
Live CD? If so, open a terminal and use the mount command to find out
what file system it is. But I suppose it is not ext3sf but ext3fs and
ext3 is the same as ext3fs - with fs being the abbreviation for "file
system".

Seems I been too stressed / tired: Typo !
Should have been: Sometimes I see it displayed as ext2fs !!

OK, now there is a difference. If you tell us where it is displayed as
ext2 sometimes, maybe someone can tell you the reason.

OK, Thank you and cheers, svobi

  • Re: Partition Reorganization / unsuccessfull ;-(
    ... Live CD you can mount the relevant partitions and copy the data ... the package openssh-server on one of the machines - yes, you can install ... Then use the scp command from the other ... Sometimes I see it displayed as ext3sf!?!? ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • unable to install from CD: failure to mount once kernel installed
    ... cleanest possible install. ... ran netinstall off floppies accepting all defaults: still unable to mount ... booted the Linux box from the hard disk into the testing Debian distro, ... allow me to turn off shadowing for either the video BIOS or the main BIOS. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: device packages?!?
    ... to create and mount the filesystem itself: ... (This will add a /cdrom stanza in /etc/filesystems, the AIX equivalent ... cdrfs is also the AIX equivalent of Solaris pcfs filesystem.) ... If necessary, install missing stuff with: ...
    (comp.unix.aix)
  • Re: Resizing Partitions, Losing Windows XP...
    ... install applications ... Could I do a dump of my current FreeBSD ... to mount the partitions read only. ... now to restore there are better ways to do it but this ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [opensuse]
    ... Mount fails with some stupid error. ... intuitive and informative apps like Synaptic. ... dependency conflicts I just let it install. ... If you don't install Zen Updater openSuSE ...
    (SuSE)