Re: Help! Instable network on 6.06 based SuperMicro server with e1000 Intel driver

Floris Vlasveld wrote:
On 24 feb 2008, at 21:49, Aart Koelewijn wrote:

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 21:22:23 +0100, Floris Vlasveld wrote:

On 24 feb 2008, at 16:52, Nick Webb wrote:

Floris Vlasveld wrote:
And, the output of "ethtool eth0" and eth1:

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: umbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7) Link detected: yes

Settings for eth1:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: umbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7) Link detected: yes
I have similar SuperMicro servers with no issues. I'd look first at
the
switch this server is connect to and make sure the ports are set to
auto
negotiate just like your interfaces are. If they are set to auto
negotiation, then I'd force them to 100/full and do the same to your
server's network cards. I've seen speed/duplex mismatches cause
lots
of
odd problems before.

Aside from that, I'd be looking for hardware issues. See anything
odd
in the logs?

Nick

Thanks for the tips Nick. I've first of all forced eth0 (the
'external'
interface) to operate at 100/Full. However, that didn't stop the
problem. I then changed the settings so that eth0 was allowed to
negotiate, but only up to 10/Full. Unfortunately, this didn't solve
the
problem as well. At this time, I'm not able to force the 3com
switch to
operate at 100/full only. However, it should be able to handle both
100/full and 10/full perfectly.

Output of ethtool eth0 at this time:

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Full
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 10Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Supports Wake-on: umbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7) Link detected: yes

Hardware issue is of course always possible. However, since both eth0
and eth1 display this problem, that seems quite unlikely.

Do you or anybody else have any other suggestion?

Floris.
With such a problem I would always check route. It has happened to me
that there are 2 default routes or none at all. In both cases you will
have problems with your network.

Aart

Thanks for your reply Aart. How exactly would I check that? What do I
look for?

Output of "route" is as follows:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
80.69.93.0 * 255.255.255.128 U 0 0
0 eth0
10.0.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0
0 eth1
default 10.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
0 eth1
default 80.69.93.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0
0 eth0

As Aart said you have two default routes setup, that won't work.
Basically if there is no route matching the host you want to connect to,
it will use the default. In the output here you have both 10.0.0.1 and
80.69.93.1 as default routes. I think you only want the later as
default, as it can route you to the internet. Then the 10.0.0.1 gateway
is only used for 10.0.0.x address, which is what you want.

This command should fix this:

sudo route del default gw 10.0.0.1

Then you'll need to update the appropriate /etc files to make it stick.
I don't have this kind of a setup on ubuntu, so I'm not sure how to do
this.

Nick