Re: VNC ? again

On 02/27/2008 05:16 PM, Wade Smart wrote:
02272008 1904 GMT-6

I received a call today asking for some help setting up vnc. I had
horrible problems doing this on my own system and had no further luck today.

The systems are Fiesty. tightvnc and tightvnc-java were already
installed. This is for an internal network only. Admin to classrooms in
a school. Ip was 192.168.0.3 and 192.168.0.4 for testing purposes. We
were unable to log in. As with my own system, all we got was : RFB
003.007 when trying to connect.

I found this tutorial and still - on a brand new newly setup system I
couldnt get vnc to work.

What is the deal with this?

What the heck am I totally missing!

Wade

Wade, VNC is already there, just enable by System|Preferences|Remote
Desktop. Click on "Allow other users etc". Uninstall the tight VNC
stuff. Even though I use Gnome v KDE I high recommend installing and
using Krdc as the client. It's much easier to use and the scroll bars
actually work.

When you get that working, come back & we'll help you set up NX (or
freeNX) if you'd like.

  • Re: RDEsktop/VNC questions
    ... > checked out XP Pro yet) and use VNC in the meantime. ... server from a web browser. ... TightVNC listens on port 5800 + the display number. ... in the ports), Windows and Linux. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Why the switch from TightVNC to RealVNC?
    ... but now RealVNC seems to have replaced it. ... The original VNC is X-based, that is to say you need an X tree to ... The TightVNC project, on the other hand, is still based on XFree86 ...
    (Fedora)
  • remote control: tightvnc via ssh
    ... I doubt I'm the first to suggest it, but you could try using TightVNC ... We used to use VNC on some systems on our network, but found it to be to ... we found a tool anyone can download to crack the vnc password. ... Subject: Remote control ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Vncsever?
    ... I used tightvnc on other ... I just use the VNC which comes with SuSE - RealVNC. ... Remember that to tunnel VNC over SSH and use it from a web browser you ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: xvnc4viewer and other vnc questions?
    ... > your CRT and also supplies the vnc desktop without ... > cascade of windows inside vnc windows confused me ... the client do not support jpeg or zlib encoding it can use the default one. ... that should be equally good as the tightvnc encoding. ...
    (Debian-User)