Re: aftermath of an ubuntu installation

Donny George wrote:
the file /etc/fstab

/dev/hda3
UUID=e2dfa2d6-1a01-46c9-9a5e-1b7baaae56b / ext3 defaults error

/dev/hda6
UUID=4a6dea29-b134-420e-a258-6fd03a4a7664 none swap sw

then theres cdrom and floppy

OK, that confirms, that hda5 was not meant to be a swap partition. I still
don't understand why it has the wrong partition type. I made a test
installation of XP with C: and D: drives. Then I installed Xubuntu 7.10
(I don't have a Ubuntu 7.10 CD laying around) on the partition which was
used as D: by XP. After that the partition layout looked like yours (here
it is sda instead of hda because it isn't IDE):

sda1 = XP (C:)
sda2 = extended partition
sda3 = Linux
sda5 = XP (D:)
sda6 = Linux swap

However, the partition type for sda5 was OK on my disk, i.e. NTFS. So I
think, changing only the partition type of your hda5 to NTFS could work.
But maybe you want to wait for thoughts of others.

Nils

  • Re: Hibernation woes
    ... would go about creating a swap partition on this Operating System. ... swapon -a" should give you a swap partition. ... Hopefully, as a pastor, you have ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: adding an extra hard disk and adding space to /usr
    ... ADD this new disk onto the already existing /usr partition. ... I am no expert on freebsd, but in my opinion tar is a good choice. ... Comment out your existing SWAP partition in /etc/fstab. ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: hard drive size on a RAID1 array
    ... They are partitioned into two: a 20gb partition and a 480gb partition ... A swap partition is a partition too, ... The first and simplest thing would be that you've created a filesystem of ... my experiences with software RAID are highly limited - I've ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Installation
    ... It fits the recommendation of the swap partition being about twice the ... The average Newbie has an average box. ... Can I make a partition that goes over all my hard drives? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: adding an extra hard disk and adding space to /usr
    ... ADD this new disk onto the already existing /usr partition. ... the safest way is to copy /usr to /mnt is via the ... Comment out your existing SWAP partition in /etc/fstab. ...
    (freebsd-stable)