Re: aftermath of an ubuntu installation

Donny George wrote:
the file /etc/fstab

/dev/hda3
UUID=e2dfa2d6-1a01-46c9-9a5e-1b7baaae56b / ext3 defaults error

/dev/hda6
UUID=4a6dea29-b134-420e-a258-6fd03a4a7664 none swap sw

then theres cdrom and floppy

OK, that confirms, that hda5 was not meant to be a swap partition. I still
don't understand why it has the wrong partition type. I made a test
installation of XP with C: and D: drives. Then I installed Xubuntu 7.10
(I don't have a Ubuntu 7.10 CD laying around) on the partition which was
used as D: by XP. After that the partition layout looked like yours (here
it is sda instead of hda because it isn't IDE):

sda1 = XP (C:)
sda2 = extended partition
sda3 = Linux
sda5 = XP (D:)
sda6 = Linux swap

However, the partition type for sda5 was OK on my disk, i.e. NTFS. So I
think, changing only the partition type of your hda5 to NTFS could work.
But maybe you want to wait for thoughts of others.

Nils