Re: Localhost not accessible

I can't help you with what you already did and have not the knowledge to
know if you made a mistake but to access local host I open my browser and
write "http://localhost"; without the "" It works for me, let me know if it

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Ben Schonle <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

*In Short:
- After fresh installation of apache2 trying to access localhost or is not working
- OS: Ubuntu Gutsy

This is my first post on the mailing list and I try to write as
precisely as possible.

Actual result:
After installation of Apache when trying to access "localhost" via the
browser, it loads for several minutes and then an error msg appears.
Ultimately an time out error appears.

What I did:
- Installed apache2 via synaptic
- while installing apache 2 an error msg about a qualified domain name

Starting web server apache2
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified
domain name, using for ServerName

After some research I figured out that I had to add *ServerName
"localhost"* to the apache2.conf - I restarted and restarting apache2
made the error about qualified domain name vanish.

# Do NOT add a slash at the end of the directory path.
ServerRoot "/etc/apache2"
ServerName "localhost"

When writing now: "localhost" or "" as the URL, it didn't show
the message "It works".

I recognized, that the /var/www folder did not contain any index file,
but the /var/www/apache2-default folder.

Thus I tried the following changes on
1) Document Root /var/www/apache2-default
2) Directory /var/www/apache2-default
3) removing the # from #RedirectMatch ^/$ /apache2-default/

However, I was not successful.

Does anybody know how to make accessing localhost work? or point me to
some tutorial that is addressing the issue?

Further research:

Here also the data from the /etc/hosts: localhost ben-desktop

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

the /etc/host.conf contains:
# The "order" line is only used by old versions of the C library.
order hosts,bind
multi on

sudo netstat -anp | grep '^tcp.*LISTEN' (I am a newbie to Linux and I
found this command, because just entering netstat produced too much

produces the following

ben@ben-desktop:~$ sudo netstat -anp | grep '^tcp.*LISTEN'
[sudo] password for ben:
tcp 0 0*
LISTEN 5114/apache2 tcp6 0 0
:::22 :::* LISTEN 4693/sshd

If I understand it correctly apache is listening on port 80. Btw what
does the number 5114 in front of apache2 mean?

Looking forward to a hint how to access localhost!

ubuntu-users mailing list
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: