Re: Install Ubuntu - Booting from External Hard Drive

Have a look at these:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent
http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-usb-bar

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:42 AM, elmo <elmo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I've had the same problem trying to boot a cloned copy of ubuntu from
the WD external usb hard drive.
I think the problem is in the command 'root' which selects the boot
partition of the external drive. I haven't been able to determine what
address should be in the root command.

Regards,
Russ

  • Re: Install Ubuntu - Booting from External Hard Drive
    ... I've tried several times to install Ubuntu Server LTS on an IBM ... can boot from that. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Install Ubuntu - Booting from External Hard Drive
    ... I've tried several times to install Ubuntu Server LTS on an IBM ... I've had the same problem trying to boot a cloned copy of ubuntu from ... address should be in the root command. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu on Mac G5.
    ... Yaboot simply can't load OS X. it tries, and the screen flickers, but nothing happens. ... I'm quite puzzled by why OSX won't boot. ... it says that the line beginning "macosx=" should give the open firmware or unix device path to the OSX boot partition. ... You can use the mouse to select your OSX or your Ubuntu drive, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Restore /boot? (wiped out by ubuntu install)
    ... ubuntu *insisted* on ... The other choice was to use the /boot partition on /dev/sda which was also in use by fc 6. ... create a new partition where you can boot ubuntu from. ... Since both the fc 6 on sda and f8 installed on sdb are lvm based, creating a new partition would require wiping the drive, I think, Instead I had created some new LogVol's on the copious free space of 500G sdb for ubuntu where it installed OK previously. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit installed along onto Pre-Installed Windows 8 System Woes (EFI related)
    ... Ubuntu 12.10 _64 bit_ on USB flahs will boot in UEFI mode on a sane ... it will install and run with Secure Boot ON - ... Manually edited the 40_custom file under the grub.d folder to add an entry for Windows 8 with the UUID of the Window's drives boot partition. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)