Re: Re: grub lost, please help

Donny George wrote:
it just goes to windows directly as if i had never installed ubuntu

don

So you don't see any Grub related text on the screen at all as it
boots? If you do what happens if you press the escape key immediately?

Did you install Windows after Ubuntu? If so then Windows just overwrote
the master boot record. Microsoft doesn't worry about little things
like multiple boot.

As mentioned before you should be able to use the Ubuntu Live CD to
restore GRUB. See this thread on Ubuntu Forums:

  • Re: Installing Ubuntu
    ... the MBR and I have to reinstall Ubuntu as well. ... If you've reinstalled Windows three times then I suggest that have ... that you haven't quite grasped the purpose of the grub boot loader. ... So I had to install windows the third time. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Ubuntu/Kubuntu on Mac G5.
    ... Yaboot simply can't load OS X. it tries, and the screen flickers, but nothing happens. ... I'm quite puzzled by why OSX won't boot. ... it says that the line beginning "macosx=" should give the open firmware or unix device path to the OSX boot partition. ... You can use the mouse to select your OSX or your Ubuntu drive, ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Restore /boot? (wiped out by ubuntu install)
    ... ubuntu *insisted* on ... The other choice was to use the /boot partition on /dev/sda which was also in use by fc 6. ... create a new partition where you can boot ubuntu from. ... Since both the fc 6 on sda and f8 installed on sdb are lvm based, creating a new partition would require wiping the drive, I think, Instead I had created some new LogVol's on the copious free space of 500G sdb for ubuntu where it installed OK previously. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit installed along onto Pre-Installed Windows 8 System Woes (EFI related)
    ... Ubuntu 12.10 _64 bit_ on USB flahs will boot in UEFI mode on a sane ... it will install and run with Secure Boot ON - ... Manually edited the 40_custom file under the grub.d folder to add an entry for Windows 8 with the UUID of the Window's drives boot partition. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Booting from LiveCD
    ... I booted into OpenFirmware and ... The last bit - \install\yaboot- is the path to the install program on ... I'm a complete tyro at linux but I got a version up and running on my ... I tried Ubuntu and had pretty much the same problem you have. ...
    (comp.os.linux.powerpc)