Re[2]: Managed to install Ubuntu but a question about Alsa

On 2008-03-27 at 12:21 NoOp wrote:

On 03/27/2008 10:45 AM, Christian wrote:
Hi all, I finally manage to install Ubuntu Hardy after changing DVD
here. I am having no problems with playing audio using Pulseaudio but
programs that want to use Alsa don't seem to work. It cannot open
device. Some of them are Gnusound and Ardour2. Any help would be
apreciated, many thanks. Christian

Perhaps this will help:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio

Yes, but since Pulseaudio is already installed how do I get Alsa support?
I am still learning this. Should I install the libasound2-plugins and create that config file?
As of now i cannot use the sound editor I want to use.
Many thanks,
Christian

  • Re: USB sound
    ... I switch between my USB headset and my 6.1 sound systm ... Error: unable to connect to pulseaudio: OK ... pulseaudio depends on alsa - ie, it sits on top of alsa so you need to configure alsa first before doing anything with pulseaudio. ... Install alsamixer and run it in a terminal; use F6 to select your sound card and F5 to see all the available channels which you activate/deactivate as required - have some CD or whatever running as you are doing this so that you can judge which channels are needed to get your sound. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ALSA instead of pulseaudio on new sid
    ... I have a fairly new install of sid with the new fancy gnome3 and all the ... Now I'm running pulseaudio. ... I would really want to go back to ALSA, but I'm kind of afraid that it ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Wine, pulseaudio, Starcraft problems
    ...  I was able to install and start Starcraft 2 using wine. ...  Kill pulseaudio and switch to Alsa when running this game. ... but I'm fine with using alsa instead for the game. ... installing the wine-alsa package (and uninstalling wine-pulseaudio) ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: PulseAudio--is there a viable alternative?
    ... I think you are speaking about OSS here, not about alsa. ... Alsa is able to play more than one soud/music at a time without ... And since trying to use Pulseaudio created more than three different issues I ... install / apt-get purge cycles with Network Manager cause for some time it ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Managed to install Ubuntu but a question about Alsa
    ... I am having no problems with playing audio using Pulseaudio but ... programs that want to use Alsa don't seem to work. ... Christian ...
    (Ubuntu)