Re: Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 LTS CPU is running 100% after upgrade

On 03/28/2008 05:53 PM, David C. Uhrig wrote:
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Johnny <linuxhamuser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Finally got Dapper 6.06 upgraded to Hardy 8.04 with some minor problems
after 2 days
did updates today

1. CPU is running 100% make the computer run slow
2. when logged into Gnome after 10 min automatic logins me

Hi Johnny,

If you look at the output of top from a command line it should
tell you what threads are hijacking your CPU.

-David C. Uhrig

And my guess will be that tracker is the culprit.

If it is, after login you can right click the little tracker tennis
racket icon on the top panel and click "Pause all indexing.

  • Re: Answer for 100% CPU usage by SVCHOST on first boot
    ... I've read one post where the OP really did a thorough study on svchost consuming all of the CPU cycles and there is really no fix for it. ... As I said, the issue went away, but today when I awoke one of my desktops I noticed that svchost was taking most of the CPU cycles until it was done checking for updates. ... For this last install I didn't connect to the internet until I had it completely installed and it was at the desktop. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: 100% CPU Power - XP the Culprit, Not all These Different Causes & Fixes?
    ... When this happens, open Task Manager to the Processes tab and tell us what processis showing high CPU consumption and what percentage. ... First install the newly released 'standalone' version of Windows Update Agent 3.0, ... Windows Update/Automatic Updates started offering 927891 on 22 May-07. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Media Center freezes and then reboots computer after a few min
    ... many fixes are silently introduced to these bios revisions. ... support for CPUs (i.e. various microcode updates) are found only ... I followed the instuctions exactly and installed the drivers ... Also confirm that the latest AMD CPU driver is installed (check the ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Long delay before the updates appear
    ... I have been suffering the same problem. ... updates to stop it from randomly hogging my CPU. ... Update or Windows Update on this PC, the same thing happens every time. ... Before downloading those updates, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Answer for 100% CPU usage by SVCHOST on first boot
    ... CPU but it only took about 1/2 hour. ... latest updates. ... One hardware firewall in my Dlink DI-524 router and the Firewall provided ... Each install was clean from a XP Pro Volume License SP1 CD. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)