Re: Gutsy Upgrade problem

On 03/29/2008 08:57 PM, Rick Knight wrote:
Rick Knight wrote:
NoOp wrote:

On 03/29/2008 03:11 PM, Rick Knight wrote:

Can tell me what I've done wrong or point me to some better Upgrade
instructions?

Thanks,
Rick

Sure:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

You probably missed the "Upgrading using the alternate CD/DVD" section.

What happens when you place the alternate CD in the drive while you are
in Feisty?

Nothing happens.

When I use the instruction "If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for
any reason, you may also run the following command using Alt+F2: " I get
the kdesu dialog but then nothing happens. If I run the sam command from
a terminal I get this...

[: 23: 7.10: unexpected operator

Could not find the upgrade application in the archive, exiting

tar: /media/Kubuntu: Cannot open: No such file or directory

tar: Child returned status 2
tar: 7.10: Not found in archive
tar: i386/dists/stable/main/dist-upgrader/binary-all//gutsy.tar.gz: Not
found in archive

rick@rick:~$

When I insert the CD, it is auto-mounted at /media/Kubuntu 7.10 i386. I
think the spaces in the mount point are causing the problem. I'll try
and mount the cd at /media/cdrom. I'll post the results.

Thanks,
Rick

OK, I remounted the CD at /media/cdrom and then re-ran the Alternativ
CD/DVD Upgrade. The upgrade started, downloaded a couple of updates and
then began the upgrade process. It finished with a message that the
system was up to date. Then it restored the system state and was done.
I shutdown and then restarted with the new kernel. No change. It still
won't boot the Gutsy kernel. I get the same error. I still have boot
with the Feisty kernel.

Can you suggest anything else?

Thanks,
Rick

Well, I'm pretty much out of suggestions... perhaps this will work while
in Feisty:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo dpkg --configure -a