Re: Automounting a USB hard disk in Ubuntu server - how?

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 03:21:22AM +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:43:22 +0100
Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

What I need is something to automount the drive after all the above
has happened.

Have a look at the "usbmount" package. ( apt-cache show usbmount)

It creates entries for usb in /media , and automounts devices there
( by default /media/usb0 for the first device, then /media/usb1,2 etc )

If you need to mount FAT file systems, you can configure that in
/etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf

The file is well commented, the addition is a copy-paste, and you only
need this edit if you are not using ext2, ext3 for your usb drive(s)

Brilliant, that's what I needed, thank you.

All I did was "sudo apt-get usbmount" and it all works perfectly
without any changes at all (my external USB drive is ext3 formatted).
After a reboot /dev/sdb1 is mounted as it should be which it wasn't
before usbmount was installed.

--
Chris Green