Compiz issues, possibly bad video driver?

I've been running Ubuntu hardy for a couple of days now on a brand new
motherboard (Geforce 6100 pn-m), with an amd 64 dual core cpu.

I've noticed a few irregularities when running compiz and some other
3d applications, in that part of the screen disappears - mostly the
kde icons on the bottom of the screen. mplayer will play a green
screen under compiz, but work fine when compiz is not running.

My video "card" is part of the motherboard, it's an Nvidia Geforce
6100. Prior, I had an Nvidia FX 5200 AGP which I used on an athlon
Thunderbird system. Obviously, compiz crawled on that box, if it ran
at all.

What I have installed seems to me to be an older driver that's in the
ubuntu repositories, compared to debian (169.12) if I understand the
versioning correctly. Actually, I ran the prior nvidia driver
(nvidia-kernel-source 1.04 something) on debian lenny for a long time.
I never experienced these artifacts before.

dfox@newbox:/storage$ apt-cache policy nvidia-glx
nvidia-glx:
Installed: 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36
Candidate: 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36
Version table:
*** 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/restricted Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-16.34 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/restricted Packages

dfox@newbox:/storage$ apt-cache policy nvidia-kernel-source
nvidia-kernel-source:
Installed: 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36
Candidate: 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36
Version table:
*** 1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-17.36 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/multiverse Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
1:96.43.05+2.6.24.12-16.34 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/multiverse Packages

I copied my old xorg.conf from debian, which got fine-tuned so I can
at least attempt compiz. I have attached it.

I see there is a "new" nvidia driver in the repositories, but prior to
installing I'd like some feedback on its use - have any of you with
similar if not exact hardware out there run across this and found an
easy fix? I like the compiz stuff generally, but it's not too
necessary to run, and not seeing mplayer video is kind of not a nice
things.

Oh, and playing avis/mpegs exhibit green screens in vlc & gxine as well.

  • Re: Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault
    ... After upgrading from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 the 3D Unity Interface NO ... reporting Compiz Segfaults, ... either of the currently available NVIDIA Drivers installed... ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Does this system work optimal on Ubuntu?
    ... NVidia is not a good choice for an Ubuntu system. ... and developing open drivers, but if you get their latest cards, expect ... Intel is the best bet (if you avoid the rare closed chipset like the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Nvidia headaches or bad motherboard?
    ... with the KVM set to the linux box to correct this problem. ... Nvidia headaches or bad motherboard? ... Ubuntu 8.04.01-alternate-amd64 has problems which I described in the ... Your screen and graphics card could not ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Elementary OS : "nvidia" driver, font size and DPI adjustment
    ... I recently migrated my office server to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, ... NVidia video card. ... to the 304 driver solved that problem. ... and usually the problem was solved by adjusting the DPI ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Still having issues with an embedded nvidia 6100 card & 3d
    ... first installed ubuntu hardy heron, ... and I had an nvidia FX 5200 AGP graphics card. ... A free implementation of the OpenGL API -- ... You install that from the init 1 and it writes to the kernel ...
    (Ubuntu)