Sony Vaio VGN-N325 ACPI Problem

I am a new Linux user, Used to mess around the various distros,
knoppix, redhat & mandrake. Using Pcs for 22 years from MSDOS &
Win 3.1. I have just been using Ubuntu 8.04 Hard Herron for 2 weeks now
on my Sony vaio vgn-n325e laptop and I have serious acpi problems.
Machine wont shutdown without hard power-off, restarts fine, cant see
battery state or ac adapter states. Please help, I have completely
formatted vista, I am so impressed with the system responsiveness but
need full laptop compatibility.

These are more indepth specs

Sony Vaio VGN-N325E/B or /W (Black or White)

15.4-inch widescreen display with xBrite-ECO LCD technology

Intel Pentium Core Duo T5300 @ 1.73ghz

Intel GMA 950 graphics 256MB Graphics Video RAM Memory

120gb 5400 rpm SATA hd

1gb ram

SuperMulti CD/DVD burner

2 USB Ports

1 4-pin iLink IEEE1304 Interface

802.11b/g Wireless Interface

Memory Stick Media

Secure Digital Slot

Express Card/34

VGA Output

Width 14.4 x Depth 10.5 x Height 1.2 to 1.6-inch

Weight 6.5 pounds with standard battery

I have extensively researched this question through google, this forum
and other sources, I have also sought the expertise of a few
individuals. I even submitted my dst file to a forum. It is evident
that Sony Vaio has an ACPI mounting issue (not sure if that is the
right terminology). In order to install Ubuntu I had to select the boot
option install with ACPI workaround, I thought this would have just
gotten me over the installation issue but it seems to have other
repercussions. I can boot the recovery mode kernels fine and power
down/suspend/resume etc without a hard powerdown. Whenever I do a
normal kernel boot that is when I have to hard power down. I have
posted to several linux forums with little results.

Issues

Battery/AC state

Backlight (fixed with x-backlight)

Function Keys

Power Down (Shut down) Forcibly

Anyone out there reading this thread, please help.

  • Re: re visited Green Screen - warning, a long ramble
    ... If you can't Boot your PC up, then you aren't going to be able ... It might be an idea to go into the BIOS & Set the "ReSet ESCD" ... Though that's really just the BIOS working through the POST - Power ... She went on to install 5updates and then shut down normally. ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: asrock, problem with nic after windows-boot - Exact Opposite issue the OP is having
    ... I never use/used a power strip in that manner (for *ATX* ... lacks upon a warm boot. ... $ sudo apt-get install sag ... Reading Package Lists... ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: cant start windows after power failure
    ... there were several power cuts/failures from the power company and ... the black screen after Post and Boot from cd: ... to undertake a Repair install, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Advice please for a first-time builder?
    ... install a PC from scratch. ... New holy-crap video cards needs lots of power while other ... change the default boot priority. ... mainboard components first: cpu+coolor, ram, power. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: F Core 3 probes
    ... > FO>I'm trying to install but not booting from CD. ... Try hitting the F2 key when the BIOS comes up, ... > boot process kicks in. ... Linux User Since 1996 ...
    (Fedora)