Re: Help

norman wrote:

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 03:28 -0400, Jake wrote:
I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I installed it to work "with" Windows XP, and
now I can't get to Windows XP anymore, it automatically boots into
Ubuntu, I need help on how to either UNINSTALL Ubuntu or INSTRUCTIONS
on how to get to Windows XP, all your help will be appreciated..

Try this link. It explains all about dual booting XP with linux.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_windows_xp_and_linux_xp_installed_first.htm

Actually, it doesn't. It's a nice tutorial for installing Linux onto a
Windows machine, but it doesn't tell you anything about getting Grub
configured - it just assumes that the installer gets that right.

You are absolutely correct in your assumption. I have set up several
machines with dual boot of Windows XP and Ubuntu and, in every case, the
installer got it correct.

Fine - but that's not much help if you (as Jake has) have already installed
both OS's and you don't have a grub menu. In my case, the installer got it
right with every install since Warty - except the time I installed to an
external drive, but there's enough anecdotal evidence that, even if there
isn't anything actually wrong with the installer, it's not too difficult
for a user to complete the install without getting grub properly set up.

That said, I think Nils probably got it right, with the menu just being
hidden.
--
derek

  • Ubuntu instability
    ... I went ahead and installed Ubuntu 13.04 on my Asus ... I ended up booting into Windows, ... into Windows and realized that the installer seems to have damaged my master ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [opensuse] small installation help
    ... Ubuntu install, you will have to tell the installer what to do with that. ... is different partition? ... automatically took all the options keeping aside Windows XP safe). ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Installation overwrote windows installation too easily
    ... Ubuntu installed all over the entire disk. ... Windows, at boot time, and they were pleased that Windows was still ... If the disk is formatted you have to rely on your backups. ... that Ubuntu's installer makes it too easy to overwrite ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Wubi Ubuntu installer
    ... Wubi is certainly different to the traditional installer process. ... Part of the windows relationship that wubi uses is the actual windows ... boot manager - to choose between windows and ubuntu when booting. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Help
    ... Ubuntu, I need help on how to either UNINSTALL Ubuntu or INSTRUCTIONS ... on how to get to Windows XP, all your help will be appreciated.. ... configured - it just assumes that the installer gets that right. ... To get Windows XP from Ubuntu do a warm boot or when switching ...
    (Ubuntu)