Re: Having some real issues

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 06:22:14AM -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
Pat Brown wrote:
I had to reinstall my Ubuntu laptop and since then I'm having nothing but
problems. My wireless NIC doesn't exist as far as Ubuntu is concerned and I
can't get Thunderbird installed. I downloaded the app and extracted it
through the package manager, but it's not showing up in my applications and
I can't get it to run.

What does "dpkg -l thunderbird" show? Please post the results.
It may then be possible to offer some fact-based advice. ;-)

If the status returned by the above command is "ii thunderbird ...",
have you tried running it from the commandline? (Please don't infer from
this that I doubt the GUI's functionality. It's just easier to see
whether the plate has a crack in it if there's not so much wet spaghetti
in the way.)

I installed Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, an actual copy from
Ubuntu, not a burned download.

I have run Update Manager but no updates are available, which I find hard to
believe

I'm not sure I'd worry about updates while convinced that the
application is not installed. Letting us understand precisely what
you've tried, and the results thereof may just get this chicken into the
pot.

Hi Pat tell us why you re-installed Ubuntu? It appears the
re-install did not help a thing. This is typical for Ubuntu Linux.

Karl

Don't mind Karl, he seems to be running a fever at the moment. I have
been away from the list for quite a while, and haven't looked to see
whether it might be due to compassion fatigue. On other lists I've seen
it strike inordinately gifted and helpful folk most pitifully.

--
Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind.
The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. -- Henry James

  • Re: Download location for BSD
    ... I know that this is ubuntu mail list and ubuntu question and answer ... But i need your help to download Free BSD, Open BSD, Net BSD, ... the various BSD mail lists, which is probably a more appropriate place ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Running Ubuntu on Lenovo Laptops
    ... Thunderbird and Microsoft office. ... Presumably the Ubuntu installation will overwrite both these partitions and format them as a single partion. ... Should you run into any problems with folder unread counts being incorrect, you'll have to go through the affected folders, mark items so that the unread count is correct again, then go to the 'File' menu and select 'Compact Folders' to force those changes to save to disk, or the problem will reoccur. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • =?utf-8?B?Rnc6IHVidW50dS11c2VycyBEaWdlc3QsIFZvbCA2NSwgSXNzdWUgMzA3?=
    ... hard disk drive resetting problem ... have with their hard disk drives resetting far more frequently than they ... support ubuntu with some dsl servers .number to modem easier ... I get a listing of the directory including run-mozilla.sh, thunderbird & ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • [Full-disclosure] [USN-998-1] Thunderbird vulnerabilities
    ... A security issue affects the following Ubuntu releases: ... Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ... After a standard system update you need to restart Thunderbird to make all ... i386 architecture: ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • [USN-998-1] Thunderbird vulnerabilities
    ... A security issue affects the following Ubuntu releases: ... Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ... After a standard system update you need to restart Thunderbird to make all ... i386 architecture: ...
    (Bugtraq)