Re: Sweeping the Machine

Steve Brettell wrote:
Is there a good program for cleaning up unused files and removing
accidentals that just seem to build up over time? Something like
"Registry Cleaner," in Windows?

SteveB
Occasionally, I'll run this command to get rid of configuration files
left behind by packages I've deleted:

aptitude purge ~c

I can't remember where I read to do this command. Sometimes it finds
things to delete; sometimes it doesn't. :)

I think doing this command from time to time is also a good idea:

apt-get autoremove

While we're on the subject, does anyone know how to get rid of the "old"
kernels? I've got 5 or 6 installed, and I'm pretty sure I don't need
ALL of them. :) I think Fedora had a simple command to get rid of them.

Regards,
Charlie Brune
St. Louis, MO.