Re: Default editor, solved

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 16:39 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but I did the gedit again to be sure
and 3 Tabs do it just like the older vim.

Just to be clear. The <tab> filename completion is a feature of the
shell. The directory listing Vinson showed is a feature of vim.

When you have typed:

vim /etc/X11<tab>

vim is not even running. It is only when you type <ENTER> that the vim
process executes.

Exactly. You have not done a thing with vim and it is in fact a bash
function. to prove this I did this as a test:

karl@karl-hardy:~$ sudo zombie /etc/X11/
app-defaults/ X xserver/
cursors/ xinit/ Xsession
default-display-manager xkb/ Xsession.d/
fonts/ xorg.conf Xsession.options
rgb.txt Xresources/ Xwrapper.config
karl@karl-hardy:~$ sudo zombie /etc/X11/

As you see zombie has nothing to do with the list of sub directories. It
is a bash function.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

  • Mouse + curses (+ vim), was Re: Apt-Get or Aptitude
    ... PuTTY and ... Vim had the same feature within a year. ... slrn uses the mouse in an xterm too. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Hello - Welcome
    ... I find the multiple undo/redo feature to be the most important feature ... Long line lengths (I think this was fixed in AIX 5.something). ... The more I learn about vim, ...
    (AIX-L)
  • Re: nvi user switching to vim -- help please!
    ... operations occur with Vim using the same keys combinations as vi. ... I'm very resistant to change. ... I have a bad habit of hitting wrong keys! ... My experience is that yes it is quite easy to invoke a vim-only feature ...
    (comp.editors)
  • Re: Enhanced Ruby editor
    ... Vim fulfills all of the requirements you've listed, ... feature that I had forgotten existed in VBscript editors. ... feature was a drop down box to switch between various functions. ... know that VBscript is different from Ruby but I was wondering if there ...
    (comp.lang.ruby)
  • Re: Cursor position on vi editor
    ... This is a useful feature for my ... It's one of the vim features, which many Linux ports of vim turn ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)