Re: Default editor, solved

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:
On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 16:39 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but I did the gedit again to be sure
and 3 Tabs do it just like the older vim.

Just to be clear. The <tab> filename completion is a feature of the
shell. The directory listing Vinson showed is a feature of vim.

When you have typed:

vim /etc/X11<tab>

vim is not even running. It is only when you type <ENTER> that the vim
process executes.

Exactly. You have not done a thing with vim and it is in fact a bash
function. to prove this I did this as a test:

karl@karl-hardy:~$ sudo zombie /etc/X11/
app-defaults/ X xserver/
cursors/ xinit/ Xsession
default-display-manager xkb/ Xsession.d/
fonts/ xorg.conf Xsession.options
rgb.txt Xresources/ Xwrapper.config
karl@karl-hardy:~$ sudo zombie /etc/X11/

As you see zombie has nothing to do with the list of sub directories. It
is a bash function.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI