Re: summary on my previous post - "SSH connection problem"

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:50:24 +0200
"Zhengguo Xu" <tworiversfolk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

my problem is:
i can connect from desktop to laptop but not reversely. in another word,
desktop to laptop, ok. laptop to desktop, no connection.

[snip]

11. "sudo iptables -L" on desktop:

[snipped copious iptables -L output from desktop ;-) ]

i haven't looked carefully at all those iptables rules, but I suspect
this might be where the problem lies.

What happens if you run the following commands in order, on the desktop?

sudo iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
sudo iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
sudo iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

sudo iptables -F # Comment (flushes all existing iptables chains)

This should give you a totally "open" firewall on the desktop, and thus
you should be able to reach sshd from the laptop. After those commands
the output from "sudo iptables -L" on both laptop and desktop should
look like the output below from your laptop.

however, on laptop the same command has output:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

it seems empty. is it normal?

"Normal" in the sense that this is the output expected when no
iptables / firewall rules are in operation, yes.

I suspect that running the commands I listed above will enable you to
connect from laptop to desktop. If so, then the firewall/iptables
configuration on your desktop is at fault. It's worth a try anyway :)

You can always restore your firewall / iptables settings, if this does
not succeed.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

  • Re: Ping and LAN Problem
    ... sudo iptables -L OUTBOUND ... the laptop connecting LAN of the desktop as 192.168.0.1. ... This was fixed by Ubuntu itself. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: multiple windows opening
    ... When you install OneCare, it will automatically ... I have had windows live one care from the first setup of this laptop. ... I open it, it shows that the firewall is on, the virus thing is ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: New Printer problem--Help please!
    ... I was able to successfully turn off all firewalls on the laptop, and I believe I also was successful with turning off all firewalls, virus protection, etc on the desktop. ... I have re-set up the network using the home network wizard. ... Following the suggestion I found elsewhere, I set up the network "wrong" (chose incorrect connection method), then set it up again "right". ... the presence of the Symantec VPN driver raises the possibility that the laptop has a Symantec firewall installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax)
  • Re: multiple windows opening
    ... When you install OneCare, ... Windows Firewall and Defender on its own. ... I have had windows live one care from the first setup of this laptop. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: multiple windows opening
    ... After uninstalling, one must download/run a removal tool to rid the machines of the "leftovers" and then reboot, preferably *before* installing another anti-virus application or security suite (e.g., OneCare). ... run Windows Update manually to make sure the machine's fully patched. ... Windows Firewall and Defender on its own. ... I have had windows live one care from the first setup of this laptop. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)