Re: summary on my previous post - "SSH connection problem"

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:50:24 +0200
"Zhengguo Xu" <tworiversfolk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

my problem is:
i can connect from desktop to laptop but not reversely. in another word,
desktop to laptop, ok. laptop to desktop, no connection.

[snip]

11. "sudo iptables -L" on desktop:

[snipped copious iptables -L output from desktop ;-) ]

i haven't looked carefully at all those iptables rules, but I suspect
this might be where the problem lies.

What happens if you run the following commands in order, on the desktop?

sudo iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
sudo iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
sudo iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT

sudo iptables -F # Comment (flushes all existing iptables chains)

This should give you a totally "open" firewall on the desktop, and thus
you should be able to reach sshd from the laptop. After those commands
the output from "sudo iptables -L" on both laptop and desktop should
look like the output below from your laptop.

however, on laptop the same command has output:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

it seems empty. is it normal?

"Normal" in the sense that this is the output expected when no
iptables / firewall rules are in operation, yes.

I suspect that running the commands I listed above will enable you to
connect from laptop to desktop. If so, then the firewall/iptables
configuration on your desktop is at fault. It's worth a try anyway :)

You can always restore your firewall / iptables settings, if this does
not succeed.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 8.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net