Re: Virtual box USB problems

NoOp wrote:
On 09/23/2008 01:07 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
NoOp wrote:
On 09/23/2008 10:09 AM, Derek Broughton wrote:
Nils Kassube wrote:
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1002,devmode=664 0 0
OK, that's a decent idea - it won't get wiped by the next
upgrade of initscripts. Thanks.
See "11.5.7 USB not working" in the VB Manual (page 147).
Visual Basic manual?!?? OK, I know you meant VirtualBox manual -
probably that's where I found it a long time ago :)

Nils

Yeah, ok: VBox manual? At least I didn't suggest editing
/etc/resolv.conf in that one :-)

For Derek: <quote> 11.5.7 USB not working If USB is not working on
your Linux host, make sure that the current user has permission to
access the USB filesystem (usbfs), which VirtualBox relies on to
retrieve valid information about your host’s USB devices. As usbfs
is a virtual filesystem, a chmod on /proc/bus/usb has no effect.
The permissions for usbfs can therefore only be changed by editing
the /etc/fstab file. For example, most Linux distributions have a
user group called usb or similar, of which the current user must be
a member. To give all users of that group access to usbfs, make
sure the following line is present: # 85 is the USB group none
/proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=85,devmode=664 0 0 Replace 85 with the
group ID that matches your system (search /etc/group for “usb” or
similar). </quote>

I just add the comment to be:

# usbfs is the USB group in fstab file - use $ grep vbox /etc/group
for devgid

so I don't forget how I got the devgid in the first place.

I had this same problem back when I was first installing vBox and
wondering why I had no access to my USB devices. I'll have to look
up my notes later tonight on what I did to resolve it -- which was
achieved with the help of this list and the vBox list.
NP: HP Lovecraft "A shadow over Innsmouth" (radio play)